We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

Hello! Just wanted to ask some advice for our Nov 1st week visit:

- Is there a prepaid SIM we can get in the airport which can do data? We're stopping over Oslo Airport & arriving in Tromso Airport, so if there are outlets there, that would be great. If not, we're staying by City Living Tromso, so any nearby outlet would also be good.

- I read theres an airport bus that gets you to Tromso, but does it stop near City Living? I couldnt find an english site for the bus, so hoping someone can help.

- Nearby grocery or supermart? We're arriving around 930pm, and would like to get some supplies like water, bread, etc. Is the water also potable? I know some countries have tap water thats good for drinking? Or not?

- Also, we're doing a guided tour on one of our nights in Tromso. Since it is quite expensive, is there a way we can also do it on our own (provided the forecasts say it can be seen overhead Tromso). Hope someone can help with some info. We can't afford to go guided tour on every night :(

Many many thanks!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,964 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

The airport coach does have an English site.

www.flybussen.no/tromso/index.asp?lang=ENG

www.avinor.no/en/airport/tromso/tofromairport

Up in the right corner the stops are listed - use google maps to calculate distances to your accomodation. Tromsø is small, you can walk to most places in the centre.

If you go to google maps and write Tromsø supermarkets, most of them will show. Again use the map to calculate distance to your lodgings like so

http://goo.gl/maps/5wM83

http://rimi.no/finn-butikk

Normally supermarkets are open till 11pm on weekdays, 10 pm on saturdays and closed on sundays. There will be kiosks and convenience stores open on sundays - more expensive than supermarkets.

Tap water is good to drink.

Oslo airport departure hall has an outlet where you can get prepaid sim-cards.

You need transport to get away from the city lights. Consider renting a car - a car will aslo provide shelter from the cold while waiting. With a good, strond NL display the lights can be seen from the city itself but it is always a better experience from a dark spot and inland areas has more clear weather than coastal Tromsø.

London, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

Thank you for the quick reply! What is a recommended prepaid SIM & would you know how much I need to top-up or prepay to enjoy data surfing?

Also, any place recommended to drive thats not too far to get away from the city lights? So we can check on google maps too. Tnx!

London, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

Thank you for the quick reply! What is a recommended prepaid SIM & would you know how much I need to top-up or prepay to enjoy data surfing?

Also, any place recommended to drive thats not too far to get away from the city lights? So we can check on google maps too. Tnx!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,964 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

I think a prepaid sim card will be at NOK 399 max per month for surfing, but not all offers are available for non-residents. You need to ask the outlet for the best offer.

Your second question is rather repetitive - I think you will find answers in previous posts like this one

tripadvisor.com/…43091972

London, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

Thank you for the info :)

6. Re: Q's on Airport Bus, Prepaid SIM, Grocery & DIY Aurora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013