We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern lights ????

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
northern lights ????

hi i would like to do a trip to Tromso in feb? does any body know what is the best way to get there from Ireland?? or can you recommend and airline?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern lights ????

SAS has 1 daily connection Dublin-Oslo/Gardermoen-Tromsø. Outbound flight from Dublin at 12:10 arriving Tromsø at 18:10. Return flight from Tromsø at 19:55, overnight at Oslo airport Gardermoen arriving Dublin next day at 11:20. Tickets from around 305€ round trip.

If you want to avoid the overnight in Oslo, you may use a combination of Lufthansa/SAS or BA/SAS/, tickets from around 465€ round trip.

Ryanair has cheap flights Dublin-Oslo, but it is not recommended to book your connecting flights as separate tickets, especially not in winter.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern lights ????

SAS only flies directly between Dublin and Oslo on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays.

So unless you time those flights in you'll also have to connect in London, Copenhagen or Stockholm in addition to Oslo on the way to Tromso.

Other option is Norwegian Airlines with a connection in Oslo. But Dublin-Tromso only works on Sundays and the return is on Thursdays.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northern lights ????

As they are predicting another very cold winter this year with more snow, I would try and go on a through ticket from Dublin e.g. with Norwegian or SAS. We went with Norwegian last year and they were absolutely fine.

ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: northern lights ????

thank you very much guys ill look into that. As ive never been before it is nice to get some good advise. Can any one recommend good accommodation either in or outside Tromso ? Mid range would be good? Thanks again.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: northern lights ????

You could have a look at AMI http://amihotel.no/ami/english/ which is one of the more reasonable hotels in Tromso. Other choices check the tourist office listings http://www.visittromso.no/en/Accommodation/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,097 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: northern lights ????

I agree with Iverh and ponaire, through tickets would be the safest in Winter. I have been stuck both in Paris and Oslo due to winter weather conditions myself. But the early morning Ryan Air flights from Dublin to Rygge could be an option as they leave plenty of time for transfer to a later flight from Gardermoen to Tromsø. Just make sure you are covered by your travel insurance in case of delays and such.

7. Re: northern lights ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 10, 2012