We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten Cruise Starting and Ending In Tromso

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Hurtigruten Cruise Starting and Ending In Tromso

Afternoon all,

Well I have just booked a cruise with Hurtigruten in January and just trying to organise what to do when now obviously around the cruise.

What I am really having trouble in deciding is whether to go for the Husky Sledging in Kirkenes on their own tour, in Tromso also on their tour or with another company. I would like to use Lyngsfjord as have heard so much good things about them on here but we just dont have the time. Here is the plan:

Tuesday - Fly into Tromso landing at 18:10 (how far is the airport by the way? wondering if could fit anything in this evening such as dog sledging or northern lights chasing)

Wednesday - Booked on the cruise which leaves at 18:30 but we must be on board at 16:00. Was tempted to do the Lyngsfjord dog sledging here but think it's just cutting it too close as if there are problems or they are late 15 mins is not enough of a gap.

Thursday - On the cruise

Friday - On the cruise and arrive in Kirkenes where we can book on their dogs sledging tour for 2.5 hours but we also were interested in the Ice Hotel up there. Should I just go for the dog sledging since it will be more remote up here or for the Ice Hotel as I can do Dog Sledging in Tromso?? So confused on this issue :s

Saturday - Arrive back in Tromso at 23:45

Sunday - Have the day in Tromso but flight leaves at 16:10 so unsure how much time would have going back to the question of how long it takes to get to the airport.

We of course want to see the Northern Lights so hoping that we will be able to on the ship and as we go further north but could there be anything we could do in the evening when we land in Tromso which only takes a few hours?

Thanks for anyone that can help me organise this short yet hopefully amazing trip! :)

Chasing Lights
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Creative Vacations
Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Night Tours
Tromso Friluftsenter
Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Photography Tours
Fjellheisen Tromso
Mountains, Sightseeing Tours, Lookouts, Other Nature & Parks, Visitor Centers
England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise Starting and Ending In Tromso

An interesting aside to the 'Husky adventure' in Kirkenes.

Apart from the fact that it does say at the end of your trip you will have the option to visit the Snow hotel or Reindeer park, on the US site they say you can only book this trip ON BOARD the ship as it's subject to weather conditions.

Methinks they should get their facts straight!

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise Starting and Ending In Tromso

Hey Dewsburyman,

I have to say I think that sounds like a great idea of having a quick peak inside the hotel to ask the question. My travel agent has been dealing with them and did point out that the brochure says you can visit the snow hotel or reindeer park afterwards but CS says that you only have time for one. Might be worth trying to ask them about a quick peak inside though and with that in mind I am now tempted to for the Husky Ride in case this can be arranged. Although might have to wait till on board and take a nice member of staff aside to ask if this plan might be possible. As you say, they might see it as a good PR and agree to it on this basis :)

I'll get onto my travel agent today to see if they can sort anything out in advance otherwise I'll try and sort it myself when on the ship.

I agree - their brochures/websites/CS always seem to say different things. Classic example, when my travel agent called CS gave her a price including Half Board. When we called to book, another member of CS says we were quoted the wrong price and that price was with no food. Luckily my travel agent fought the case, got them to listen to the recording of the phone call and although they did not honour they original quote, they did give us a bit of a discount so that was lucky :)

13. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise Starting and Ending In Tromso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 26, 2012