We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso in October with a 14 year old

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso in October with a 14 year old

I just booked flights to Tromso to see the Northern lights the last week in October with my 14 yr old daughter. Now I am belatedly reading posts that it could be cold, wet and dark and I thought it would be snowy. Any advice on what to do where to go that will be not too expensive in the absence of snow appreciated. Also should we spend a couple of days out of town? I haven't booked accommodation yet. It looks beautiful in the photos fingers crossed

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

Late October there will still be sun and many hours daylight (sunrise about 9:00).

Temperatures are around 0 to 5 C, a bit frost is likely, particularly in the hinterland (Tromsø is an island).

yr.no/sted/…

There is some snow at higher altitudes at the moment.

Nice pictures of aurora last weekend

http://www.yr.no/1.7826225

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

I would recommend doing the roundtrip Tromsø-Skjervøy. You go by bus to skjervøy and on the way you will have to take a underseas tunnel.

Back again you will go with hurtigruten. The hurtigruten ships are of cruise ship standard, with great panorama views.

For an adult, the whole journey costs 600 kroner.

In Tromsø, you can take the gondole up the mountain.

Other than that, im sure it must be exciting for a 14 year old to see a somewhat different culture. Like going to cafees, clothing shops etc. You dont have to buy anything in the shopping centers, since its probably much cheaper in London. Can still be ok to hang out for a few hours.

Tromsø is quite lively town with many( 10 000) students.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

Thank you very much for your positive comments and advice, the photographs look amazing.I am very excited to be coming, I was a little worried that I had told my daughter there would be snow, Andrea

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

The round trip sounds a very good idea - thank you very much, Andrea

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

About snow; All mountains around Tromsø are now white of snow. And last night the ground was also white by the Finnish border. It`s about 3-6 plus degrees in Tromsø and minus 3 by the border...

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

Thank you for the snow update, I am much encouraged, will we need to do an excursion to see the snowy landscape?

Andrea

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

There is some snow on the highest peaks around the city, but this can change a lot in one or two weeks. Late October/early November there is a good chance of snow in the city. Note that the Tromsø itself is on an island and relatively mild climate.

As you can see from these pictures Tromsø is surrounded by mountains, some of which appear as alpine peaks

seaice.org.uk/research/…Tromso.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Troms%…

8. Re: Tromso in October with a 14 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 26, 2012