We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

Hi All

Be great to hear from the Aurora hunters on here what it was like yesturday when you the Aurora Blast.....

"AURORA BLAST: On Feb. 15th, an intense wave of Northern Lights swept across Scandinavia.

The display got started when the sun's magnetic field near Earth tipped south. This opened a hole in Earth's magnetosphere. Solar wind poured in and fueled the auroras. The lights were so bright they reflected in water, cast shadows on snow, and descended as far south as Scotland and Northern Ireland.

London, UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

We were in Tromso on Monday (15th February) and saw the best showing (in the past few years) of the Aurora. Great colours, shapes and patterns shone across the sky. With my camera and tripod, I captured about 50 great shots. I hope to come back with the link, so look out soon.

Edited: 1:13 pm, February 17, 2010
London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

aww im out there next week. Quite jealous.::-) Lets hope 'the sun's magnetic field near Earth tips south' again next week. Look forward to seeing your photos soon.

London, UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

outdoors.webshots.com/album/576768535aalRux…

I hope you get the chance to see this! Just get a bus out of the city. We found a wooded area, near a church with graveyard, so peace and space to set up camera and tripod.

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

Thanks loads for sharing your photos!! It just looks so unreal...like something out of the X Files. I hope hope hope i get to see something.

I notice yr from London. How cold was it out there in comparison to our latest snow event in London?

Ill be out there on my own so not sure about walking through graveyards in the middle of the night alone lol. Be great to hear what else you did without an organised tour.

I arrive on Thurs eve, so may venture out somewhere on Thurs eve.

I have a phtography day booked on fri - but fri eve i need to fill with something.

Sat i will be doing museums, cable car etc. In the eve i hope to take the ferries and coastal steamer.

Sun ill just be taking more photos (with my newly learnt skills). Then Sun eve i go out looking for the northern lights with Skogli.

Mon im home.

Ive heard it very expensive for food...how did the £ stretch for you?

I have 4 days to try and see the lights:-)

If i can get everyone on Earth to just stand on one side of it ....maybe the Tip will happen again. hahahahahaha

Heres hoping.xx

London, UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

It was about -5c so not much colder than London a few weeks ago. But, it was very still so no wind chill and the air is dry. Wrap up with layers and a hand warmer for the gloves and you will be fine, assuming that it stays like that.

Obvious things like the cable car and the museums are worth doing but we were there for one day and packed a lot in, The lights were very lucky as it may be obvious there is no guarantee.

We came in by Hurtigruten and flew out. The church (with the Sydney Opera House design) is only open from 4 till 6 pm. we didn't get inside but there is a stained glass window is is apparently the biggest in Europe.

It is quite expensive. Beer is approx £6-7 for a full glass and a pizza for one will cost £10-15.

Buses are 26Kr for a ride with a second (inside 90 minutes) free. A day bus pass is £50Kr.

So, good luck, and report back on your trip.

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

Thanks loads. Definately will post on my return (i really hope its not an anti climax). Looks like pot noodle and loads of biscuits are going in my luggage then. Mayb weight loss can be a side benefit.

Looking at Spaceweather.com they are saying this:

The opening months of 2010 have brought a sharp increase in solar activity and a concomitant brightening of the aurora borealis. NOAA forecasters estimate a 25% - 30% chance of more polar geomagnetic activity in the next 48 hours.

Looks like those heading out in the next few days will have a chance of an amazing sighting:-) Good luck all.

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

Wow more last night......

if it can just keep going for 10 more nights ....

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

lostinparadise72 we shall be in Tromso the same time as you. It would be so wonderful if we see the Aurora. You will recognise us as we will be the couple moaning how starving and thirsty we are at lunch time whilst going round Tromso! Fortunately we will get some food at the hotel we are staying at which is The Clarion Hotel With. I worked out that as we are there for a week it will cost us £670 just to visit the various attractions and go on a couple of trips, that is without any food or drink or hotel. Looks like it will be a very expensive holiday but from all the reviews it will be well worth it.

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

LOL ill be the lethargic waff who has survived on M&S croissants, Crisps and pot noodle.......

On another note if you look at the 9 day tromso forecast, they will have light snow there next week.

ive never monitored the weather and weird and wonderful sites so much in my life...its great!!!

Adds to the excitement.

Hope you have a lovely time:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aurora Blast - Scandinavia

Dragon

I stayed at the Clarion Collection With a few weeks ago; as well as buffet breakfast there is tea and coffee available 24/7, waffles every afternoon between 4pm and 6pm, and an evening buffet from 6pm (or it may be 7pm - can't remember!) including salad and a hot dish. All of this is included in your room rate.

It is expensive, but you'll love Tromso. One treat you absolutely must have - the Aunegarden restaurant at the end of the street does the most fantastic cakes; perfect mid-afternoon.

Good luck with the Aurora!

Peter