We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reindeer or husky ride?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
reindeer or husky ride?

We will be visiting Tromso 2nd March for a week and just do not know if we should do a reindeer sleigh ride or husky sleigh ride. Is one more comfortable than the other? The husky one seems to be less expensive. Any advice please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

Dragon,

Depends on what you want; both are very different - but excellent nonetheless. Reindeer sledding is a little more relaxing; you simply sit in the sleigh and allow yourself to be pulled along at anything from walking pace to a fast trot by a reindeer. Particularly at night it's very, very special under the stars (and Aurora).

Dog sledding, on the other hand, is more of an adrenaline rush as usually one of you will be standing at the back of the sleigh mushing - its (much) faster and harder work than reindeer but exhilarating nonetheless. I wrote about it as a first-timer here :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k252…

So to answer your question - if time (and funds) permit you should really, really do both - but make sure you do at least one at night to try and see the Aurora as well. I'd recommend reindeer by night and dogs by day (as you will be watching the dogs rather than the sky!!)

Peter

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

Thanks for the information. I don't think we can afford to do both. I am 61 and my husband is 71 so I don't think either of us would like to be standing but I see from your very informative report that you don't have to stand. We are really looking forward to our Tromso trip.

london
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

I would say husky sledding is the most fun. You don´t have to stand up or anything, you´re tucked nicely in under reindeer skins as you go.

It is so much fun and the dogs are amazing!

There´s a good guide to different things to do in Tromso on this site:

iglobetrotter.com/norway/tromso/what-to-do-i…

Have a great trip!

Edited: 5:28 am, February 11, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

You will need to check carefully with the dog sledding operator before booking as many of the centres do definitely require one of you to stand and do the driving. I know Lyngsfjord definitely do (as that's where I did it).

It's probably worth calling the Tourist Office who are very helpful and who speak excellent English. They will know if a particular operator will provide a musher.

Peter

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

We went with Tromsø Villmarkssenter a couple of days ago and my Mum-in-Law who is 76 loved it, 2 people per sled and you are driven by an expert

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

Thank you everyone for your replies. We are going in a couple of weeks and are so excited. Have counted the cost of all the things we want to do during the week we will be there and were shocked at how much it has all added up to. We have therefore decided just to do the husky ride and save the reindeer ride for another time. Out of curiousity, was it any cheaper to book the tour to Villmarkssenter when you were there. Hope you don't mind me asking how much it cost. Just wondered if the hotels get better rates as the Hurtigrutten tours seem to cost less when I have looked in their UK brochure.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

We booked via our travel agent, last November. They told us at Villmarkssenter that last week they were fully booked.

'If' I was to go back I would book the daytime stuff before arriving there and 'chasing the lights' when I arrived

Yes its very expensive there

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

We will be in Tromso in early March too and have somehow managed to spend enough on trips to finance a small country for a year. EVERYONE whose reports I've read or had contact with though says the same thing - the trips are expensive but worth it. Now...fingers crossed for the lights...

Have a brilliant time everybody and we'll maybe see you there :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

I've done dogs by day and by night.

The evening ride under the stars is more exciting but you will probably not appreciate seeing the dogs at work as you will probably be holding on and looking for outstretched branches and pot holes (filled with snow) which make it a bit bumpy.

Personally, if you've never done it before, then go during the day as the dogs will be less tired (they can do 6 or 7 rides in a day). Their excitement is a joy to behold.

Have fun - it is truly an experience!

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: reindeer or husky ride?

Thanks everyone, we have decided to do the day time husky ride and see how the money goes. We are there for a week so want to see and do as much as possible. We are so excited and counting down the days till we travel.