We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Last Minute Questions

Hi All

We are heading over to Tromso next week and have a few questions I hope you can all help with.

We plan to get the bus/coastal steamer one night - is this a combined ticket and can we get this online in advance?

I know we need v.warm clothes for trips and stuff however around town is it generally ok in trainers and jeans - no knee deep snow blocking our way to Macks Brewery!!

I am limiting my girlfriend to the amount of camera equipment she will be bringing (i will be carrying) any advice on most suitab lens to bring. She has a Nikon D80 with a whole armoury of lens

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Questions

Jeans is OK in the town, but if temperatures drop to minus 8-10 C consider something warmer even in the city (thin long johns or something).

yr.no/sted/…langtidsvarsel.html

I would also recommend some sturdy shoes (non-slip sole).

Perhaps a small camera tripod for night photos?

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Questions

Jimmy

I was in Tromso this time last year and will also be there again next week. Whilst in town I wore jeans with thermals underneath and was fine, but at night when out in the countryside on excursions wore ski pants too.

Someone local may know better, but I don't think there is much snow in the city right now from looking at the webcam - certainly last year there was almost none on the pavements in Storgata when I was there, so getting to Macks was easy (more to the point, getting back from Macks was also easy!).

You'll definitely need some sort of boot with a proper grip on the sole - trainers definitely not recommended!!

Peter

Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Questions

Thanks guys really helpful

Didnt make myself clear on the camera front!

Which lens would people recommend for capturing the (hoped for) Northern Lights?

Regards

J2C

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Questions

Jimmy

I think most lenses will capture it, but what you will need is a camera with a long shutter speed - last year on a night when the Lights were faint a shutter speed of 20 to 25 seconds was needed to get that brilliant neon green image. As the Lights got stronger I reduced the speed to about 10-15 seconds.

I'm no camera expert, but went out with Kjetil Skogli last year who provided this advice - and got some excellent pictures.

Peter

5. Re: Last Minute Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2010