We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten question

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hurtigruten question

I have a planned a trip on the Hurtigruten MS Richard With leaving Tromso to Kirkenes and back to Tromso 1st Feb-5th as a surprise for my husbands birthday, hoping to see the northern lights!

My question is, how warm or cold is the boat itself I know that I will need lots of layers, a super warm jacket, thermal underwear, scarf, hat gloves for when on deck and excursions, but is the boat and cabins relatively warm, will I need thermal pyjamas for bed?!

Also any comments on this particualr part of the voyage appreciated. We have a husky adventure booked for Kirkenes and visit to the ice hotel there

Thanks Sue

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten question

Toasty! And the bathroom floor is heated. You should be fine

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten question

The boat (ship) is warm, but you need warm layers for the outdoor. Expect temperatures around minus 10 C and lower in Kirkenes. Consider renting warm clothes for onshore expeditions.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten question

Just returned last week from this same ship - although we got off in Tromso. The ship is very warm. You have your own heat control in the Cabin.

It gets a little cool by the window in the observation room but overall wearing a couple layers / sweater, you will be fine. Then to run outside just toss on coat/hat/gloves. The temp was about -5 to -10 while we were on the ship.

We weren't able to see the No Lights but had a full moon that was fantastic! All in all a great trip.

We did dog sleds in Tromso - make sure you take a Balcava with you plus some of the thermal hand / feet warmers. It was -20 while we were out there. The suits keep you really warm if you layer up underneath. The only issue is the feet/hands/face.

Have a great trip

Staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten question

Thanks for your responses, i am getting really excited about our trip which is now just over 3 weeks away! Can ask on teh Richard With, did your package just include dinner and breakfast as ours does and if so, were the lunch options/drinks in between meals expensive, just working out how much spending money we will need.

thanks

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigruten question

Just a small comment: About 95% of all tourists who visit the Arctic Norway in the winter brings finger gloves only... Please don`t use that, but buy some good mitten gloves. The best thing is to buy them some size larger that you normally use, so they fit thin finger gloves inside. So, then you will never be to cold, when you have to take of the gloves for taking a picture, etc.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigruten question

Check with the hurtigruten office in London re price - my r/t trip was half board and I paid on board for 11 lunches in advance .. don't recall the cost, but it's a big buffet and worth the cost c/w buying coffee and snacks on board.

London
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurtigruten question

Hi Susan,

I have similar trip lined up in mid-March. I am taking Hurtigruten from Tromso to Kirkenes oneway and then flying back to Oslo from Kirkenes.

I would really appreciate it if you can share your experience on Hurtigruten.

Staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurtigruten question

Just back, it was fabulous! the northern lights made an appearnce 3 nights out of the 4 we were on board which was just the icing on the cake, the hurtigruten ship was perfect, food lovely, cabin (ours on deck 5) was just great, staff, especially the tour manager Morten, was super, we did 2 excursions the husky adventure in Kirkenes, which was worth every penny, we pre booked this before we left and think this was a good idea as there were no spaces left for anyone who had not pre booked and the dog sledding in Tromso did not go ahead as not enough snow. We also did an excursion to a small fishing village, instead of the north cape excursion at Honninsvag, and it was so intersesting, we were guided by a local lady Heidi who was so enthusiastic about her home village and served us mullled wine and waffles in her "christmas house" The whole trip was just perfect went without a hitch, due almost certainly to the excellent organisation, competance and efficiency of Hurtigruten... you will love it!!

9. Re: Hurtigruten question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 06, 2010