We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do women go out alone

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do women go out alone

hi,

I'm visiting Tromso at the end of November (cannot wait!). I'm staying 3 nights and currently have trips booked for 2 of the nights. However, I doing this trip by myself and if I dont book a trip for the remaining night, and pluck up courage to go to a restaurant or bar alone would it look odd or draw attention? I can see that Tromso is a popular tourist destination but not sure if its the norm to see women out alone.

Many thanks.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,793 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do women go out alone

I do not know about Tromso, but in other places I have been to I have never had a problem going to a restaurant alone in Norway. In Norway there are single travelers both for tourism and business, hence seing a women alone is not odd. If you are going to a bar alone, someone will probably start talking to you.

Tromsoe
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do women go out alone

I come from Tromsoe, it is quite normal hehe :)

Business travellers go out alone all the time, and locals aswell.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do women go out alone

Hi.

The nighlife in Tromsø is amazing, and be sure, you are not alone who going out by your self..;) And probably, before you have test your first drink you will have many friends already...

Depence on your age, but try pubs like; Solid, Circa, Meieriet, Günther, Arthur and Skarven.

Good luck, and welcome to the Arctic Norway.

Kind regards, Gunnar Hildonen.

Tromsoe
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do women go out alone

Gunnar....I think you mean Gründer :)

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do women go out alone

Yes, of course..;)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do women go out alone

Thankyou for the replies and reassurance I wouldnt stand out. Its great to keep hearing that Tromso is so friendly and safe.

Roll on the end of November - I cant wait!

Tromso
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do women go out alone

Hello Gunnar,

Thank you for all your great posts. I am an older woman (50) but energetic and lively. Do you happen you know where I will find about same age and type. thank you kindly,

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do women go out alone

Hi.

Age is easy, but type..?

Try the pub Skarven, if you are there Friday from 2 pm, it`s After Work Beer, and a lot of people in all ages.

Try also, Rorbua, at the SAS hotel, where they have live music. Cover charge NOK 40... at least last time I was there.

Ølhallen - The brewery, Mack, beer hall - open 9 am to 5 pm, if you like beer. Try the Christmas beer and Autumn beer (Høst øl).

SAS have a nice lobby bar.

Solid is a nice place to relax.

What else..?

Tromso
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do women go out alone

Hi Gunnar,

Great! That is helpful. I am new to Tromso from LA, have a good job, love nature and outdoor sports. Looking for like-minded people to participate in all that Tromso has to offer. How to look up your tours?

thank you,

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do women go out alone

The tourist information; destinasjontromso.no/english/documents/Vinte…

have information over all the tours, also mine.