We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving outside tromso in feburary

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
london
3 posts
Save Topic
driving outside tromso in feburary

Hi,

We are planning to go to tromso in the second week of february and would like to hire a car to drive around the local area outside tromso. Does anyone know if there are any issues to doing this, or is it strightforward?

Thanks

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

Well, it is mid winter, be prepared for roads covered in ice or packed snow. If you don't have any experience driving on snow/ice, it might be a challenge.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

We've just come back from Tromso, and one shared thought was that we were glad we weren't driving!

The roads seem very scary if you're not used to ice.

The public transport system is very good and I'd recommend making use of that.

london
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I just thought I'd give an update for others. We did end up hiring a car, as we were staying in Lyngen alps area, and we did a lot of driving. We had no problems at all and really enjoyed the freedom it gave. I think as long as your an experienced and calm driver you should be fine driving in winter- the locals are certainly ok with it! Just take it easy to begin with.

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
152 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

We are going (nearly booked it) to Malangen near Tromso next February so I wondered exactly the same thing.

Although I am an experienced driver we dont encounter those road conditions here in again.

Opinions seem mixed on the wisdom of driving there in February.

I am not so sure about it now as my 3 year old daughter will be in the back of the car.....

England
Level Contributor
152 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

Sorry that should have read "here in England"....

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

There will for sure be packed snow and ice on the roads. In cold conditions it is relatively easy to drive on such surface (but still requires caution compared to asphalt), but around zero (freezing/melting) it may be demanding if you are not used to it.

England
Level Contributor
152 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

Thanks Oslo Viking

Certainly making me have second thoughts about going now.

My families safety is paramount.

I may look at going on a short cruise North from Tromso instead to include a dog sledding ride etc.

No driving and cheaper !

8. Re: driving outside tromso in feburary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 03, 2009