We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Hi,

Please can anyone let me know the best way to get local currency?

We land at Tromso airport 12.45pm on a Sat.

Is there an ATM at the airport we could use? Does anyone know which cards the ATMs accept? Or would you use the bank at the airport to excnage GBP? Or should I get some before I leave the UK?

Thanks.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,286 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Tromsø airport info:

http://www.avinor.no/en/airport/tromso

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Thanks for that. I had looked on there, but the only info on the ATM at the airport is that it provides cash in Euros and GBP.

Do you know which cards it accepts?

Thanks

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,286 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Sorry, don't know.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

I have checked Sparebank1's web site, byt they don't state which cards are accepted. However, being in an international aiport I feel certain you will find all major international cards - like Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners etc.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Thanks anyway.

Thanks Greek traveller. Do you know which cash-cards can be used in the ATM? Is the maestro/cirrus card used in Norway?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Sorry - I don't know the maestro/cirrus card, but I have got a feeling that I have seen it mentioned on several ATMs. However, do not take that for granted.

I will suggest that you bring a couple of cards with you - the one you mention along with a MasterCard, Visa etc.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

Thanks a lot.

London, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

I have a UK Maestro card which works just about everywhere in Norway. Cash machines and most shops take them, restaurants somewhat less so. Your chip is rarely used, instead you swipe it and when prompted for your pin enter this. BTW I have yet to find a cash machine which did not accept my Maestro card. In some shops they have no clue what a Maestro card is so just look confident and swipe your card. The worst that can happen is that the terminal rejects it - then just pay with another card or cash.

Do bring a proper credit card as well though, for those places which do not accept Maestro.

9. Re: Where to get Norwegian Kroner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 15, 2009