We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Hi everyone,

First of all, please forgive my ignorance, but I know very little about Norway. I do know that I'd like to see the Northern lights, and would like to go for a weekend for the first weekend of March. So, my questions are:

1. I've heard Tromso may be the best place to go - is this true? Or is somewhere better?

2. Can you confirm that this is a good time to see the Northern Lights?

3. How can I get there from London? I'm sure there are flights to Oslo, but since it's just a few days I don't want to do a connecting flight or spend a fortune on air travel.

4. I'm a young woman travelling alone - will I have any problems of any kind? (Everything from finding a single room in a hotel, to personal safety)

5. Can you recommend any lodging? Something comfortable and safe, but not too extravagant. Also, will I have difficulty finding lodging? (I don't know if this is too late to start planning a trip of this kind)

6. Is there anything else I might need to know?

Many, many thanks in advance - I really do appreciate it! :)

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

For a start, check out www.northern-lights.no - it's a *great* website with lots of info. www.destinasjontromso.no is also very good - and you might want to check out my Tromsø pages on Virtual Tourist (travel tips and photos): members.virtualtourist.com/m/878cd/33699/

I currently live in Tromsø, and yeah, it *is* a great place to see the northern lights. We see the aurora here on pretty much every clear night between September and early April - but that's just it, the weather has to be nice (no clouds!) or you won't see a thing. So, no guarantees!

Low-cost carrier Norwegian is about to start direct flights London Stansted - Tromsø - see www.norwegian.no - that's the only airline flying directly to London from Tromsø.

You shouldn't have any problems finding a place to stay in March - see the destinasjontromso.no website for more info. Finding a single room in a hotel shouldn't be difficult, and Tromsø is, like all if Scandinavia, perfectly safe!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Just one thing - if your main reason for travelling to Tromsø is the northern lights, then I'd strongly suggest staying for more than just a weekend, to increase your chances of actually seeing the aurora.. There are of course other things to see and do here too, I'd recommend planning some other activities as well, and not get *too* disappointed if you don't get to see the northern lights... :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Many thanks for the useful advice - this is just what I needed to start planning my trip! Thank you! :)

england
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

1. Tromso is probably the best place to go – very easy to get there.

2. November to March

3. Direct flights or via Oslo from Stansted with www.norweigian.no

4. No, it felt very safe

5. Most hotels about £100 - £120 a night – the Radisson SAS was v.good

6. Most speak excellent English – lots of tours are bookable at the tourist info office – easy to find only 2 mins from Radisson.

However –

Don't surprised if you don't see the Lights (no sightings in Tromso for the whole of Dec 07 - until the 30th). You need three things :- 1. A very clear night, 2. Cold temps and most importantly 3. Current solar activity. We saw nothing our first night and very little the second ... On our third and final night (New Years Eve) for one hour massive streaks of green lights moved slowly accross the sky. Just before deciding to return to Tromso activity began to increase and within seconds the whole sky was covered in dancing lights of green, blue, purple and pink. They moved like waves rolling in for about 15 minutes – now that was AMAZING. As they say, the patient observer is rewarded.

Rgds

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Hi

I'm also planning my first trip to Tromso in early Feb and am in search of the Northern Lights. So all this is very useful! Can anyone recommend some good trips from Tromso, maybe that, being out of the city and its light, will give us more chance of seeing the Norther Lighs against a dark sky? Thanks

united kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

I agree with the above posts and would advise you to go for more than a weekend. I spent a week in Tromso in December and didn't see the Northern Lights at all.

There is a tour which you can book at the Tourist information centre which according to them is your best chance of seeing the Lights.

I stayed at the Thon hotel which was about £60 per night for a single room, and had a really good breakfast buffet. I went alone and felt perfectly safe at all times, even when walking back to the hotel in the early hours of the morning.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
322 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

I also went in search of the lights to trmso and didn't see them but had a great time. Try Artic pathfinders for helpful info on trips. there is also a bus you can take north then catch the coastal steamer back down to tromso all in one evening, and some friends of ours saw the lights then as out in the open sea there is no city light. Great city.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Can anyone recommend some cabins that are easy to get to from the centre of Tromso and in nice surroundings. Preferably not too basic!

Glasgow, Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

Hi, I was planning on travelling up to Tromso in September, can anyone tell me please what the weather is like at that time of year?

I'd love to see the northern lights but if it's unlikly to see them at that time of year i may wait.

Cheers

frisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern lights - please help, I don't know where to begin!

I, too, plan to travel to Tromso in September. What is my chances to see Northern light during that month? (I plan to stay around 3 nights and tour around town during the day)

Also, would anyone know how can I go to Stockholm from Tromso?? Your help is appreciated.