We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso Climate

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
essex, uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso Climate

We would like to visit Tromso to see the northern lights. We would really like it to be snowy while we are there. When does Tromso tend to get snowy? How late in the year does the snow last?

Tromso
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso Climate

I would say you're guaranteed snow from late December till March/April. Having said that, we sometimes have snow till the end of May, but I wouldn't count on it!

January is a good month to visit Tromsø. It'll be cold and dark and it will be truly different from the rest of Europe. As an extra bonus, there are two great festivals in this period: Tromsø International Film Festival and The Northern Lights Festival (classic, jazz, contemporary music etc.). In other words, plenty to do, both indoors and outdoors!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso Climate

I used to say that snow is guaranteed from mid/late December - but with the weird weather we've been having the last few years I won't promise anything anymore.. ;o) But yeah, you'll *usually* get all the snow you want (and more) between January and late March, at least.

I'd say come to Tromsø in January or February if you want snow + northern lights - keep in mind that the polar night lasts until January 21st - being in Tromsø during the polar night can be an interesting experience (and no, it isn't totally dark all day!)

3. Re: Tromso Climate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 31, 2009