We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

Hey hey, I'm visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya in the first week of December. I'm trying to put together my trip and would love some advice. My main wishes are to see whales, orca's and aurora borealis. I am a an amature photographer who loves nature and wild animals. I'm also thinking about dog sledding, snow scooter tour, bird watching tour. It's hard to choose, and I have a hard time getting a clear picture about the conditions in early December.

Questions I have:

- I wonder if it will be safe to drive (rent a car) as I'm not experienced at driving with snow and ice.

- Would you recommend a whale trip by zodiac or an other sort of ship?

- Should I worry about sea sickness?

- In general: what weather/darkness conditions should I expect?

Thanks so much in advance!

4 replies to this topic
San Diego...
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

We will be traveling to Norway in late November and have a lot of the same things on our itinerary. I haven't been yet so I really can't be much help but we booked a 24 hour cruise through Pukka travels in Tromso that includes a whale watching tour, northern lights and arctic fishing with accommodation and meals. Its currently on sale for 35% off until September 16th. Their reviews are fantastic and they travel in smaller groups. They also offer discounts on additional northern lights tours if the lights aren't visible when you go out with them. I'm not sure if tours are something you'd be interested in.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

Thanks for your reply. I hope you will have a great trip! :-)

I am interested only in one day tours/trips. As I'm especially staying on Kvaløya. I have rented a little place right at the fjord where in previous years people have seen both whales and northern lights. I'm there multiple days, so I guess I just need a bit of luck. I would like to take a whale watching tour (no fishing for me though!) and am not sure whether to take the zodiac trip or one on a bigger ship.

I am mostly eager to get advice about driving a car and road conditions on Kvaløya and surrounding islands in December. I hope some locals are reafing along?!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,345 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

Impossible to predict weather and road conditions. In bad weather driving can be challenging even for locals. Strong winds, drifting snow and poor visibility can happen.

4. Re: Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:49 am, December 14, 2017

Reply to: Help: visiting Tromsø & Kvaløya first week december
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted