We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

dear Narvik forum

I will be travelling from Iceland (8 or 9 November) and have to be in Helsinki on 14 November. I would like to see northern lights and am an avid train traveller. Am I going to see anything outside the window except white at this time or year. I am looking at oslo to malmo to Stockholm to boden kemi and Helsinki.

But have just seen the route oslo - bodo - narvik, but still concerned about what I will see. Should I consider more flights for this trip.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

In November days are short and many places too early for snow, what you will see from a train window will be more black than white.

If the northern light is a priority I would suggest you fly to Tromsø and spend a few days there.

If you want you can travel to Helsinki with bus to Narvik, train to Luleå, buses to Kemi with change in Haparanda/Tornio and train to Helsinki. This journey should be feasible in two days, check www.sj.se and www.vr.fi .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

Thanks for that. I have been looking at the sky station in Abisko. I don't suppose you know if it is functioning? The website is listing 2013 availability and I'm not sure if it just that its summer now or something more critical.It seems like it will only be open Thursdays - Saturdays in November (or was last year), which would count me out anyway.

Kind regards

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

I do not think I would recommend Abisko outside the skiing season. There is nothing there except some holiday homes and a supermarket.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

I haven't been to Abisko, but I'm sure Klima is right. Tromsø is certainly a much livelier place: http://www.visittromso.no/en/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

I have been to Abisko - many times :)) 85 inhabitants. Not my favourite place on earth, but there are some bargains to be had every autumn when the mobile butcher arrives from Karesuando.

Edited: 11:22 am, June 13, 2014
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

Abisko is famous for their Sky Station and there's probably many another Aurora chasers there too, and they are not there for skiing..;)

But, I think you are planning to much travel in to short time, so I recommend you to fly, since it's cheaper and faster, and November is not the most beautiful time to explore the Arctic Lapland...

From Tromso you can fly directly to Helsinki, at least Finnair begin to fly this route last January. And if not, SAS are flying directly to Stockholm.

You are writing you are coming from Iceland, who is a NL destination too..;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

thank you all for the feedback. I will explore Tromso. Re the distance if I only have a short time I often take the train and get a look around and then come back to here looks nice.

My reason for Abisko was for the sky station.

Kind regards

Levinia

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

I am going to Abisko end of November on a Northern Lights Photography Tour through Lights Over Lapland....photos from Abisko look stunning at this time of year.....take a loook at Lights over Lapland website wqho I booked my holiday with, they are really helpful & quick to reply to emails.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

It`s easier to watch the photography if you add a link to the website...

10. Re: Train travel in Norway/sweden in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 07, 2014