We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killer whale safari

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Narvik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Killer whale safari

HI all, i am planning to head to Narvik in mid november and am planning to see the killer whales. Besides this website www.fcn.no, are there any other safari companies available? The reason is because i have been trying to email them for the past 2 months and i still havent gotten a reply. Besides whale safari, i will be there for 3 days, taking a train from Kiruna, are there any other activities or other cities around the vicinity that is worth exploring? Pls advice and thank you for your time.

Kind regards

adrian

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,976 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killer whale safari

These are the ones that I know of

tysfjord-turistsenter.no/no/…

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killer whale safari

From the link given by klimaflyktning please note:

Quote:

The past two years, we have noticed that nature is changing. There is not as much herring in the fjords anymore, and the orcas have been more difficult to find. Some of the groups will continue to come back to Tysfjord every winter. From the season 2010-2011, we extended the Orca Tysfjord concept with other nature related activities, as a complement to the orca safaris.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,976 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killer whale safari

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to nature.... But herring there is :)) Had some for lunch yesterday.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killer whale safari

The whale watching in Tysfjord are ended!!

Until 2007 there was up to 200 whales in that fjord from October to Februray, but now you can sometimes see them in Vestfjorden, inside for the Lofoten islands.

But, it's better for you to come to Tromsø for your whale watching..;)

Since we the two last years have had a lots of whales from October/November to January outside the island Kvaløya and outside Senja, later in the winter.

It was just amazing with over 100 whales very close to the shore, so you could take pictures of them from the shore. Closest picture I have was on only 10 meter..;)

The whales was Orcas and Humpback whales.

I think Tromsø Adventure will sell Whale tours this season, and on http://www.visittromso.no you will also probably find more info.

Edited: 3:31 pm, September 04, 2013
London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killer whale safari

Hi Adrian,

Am planning the same.

Browsing through all the internet pages I can find at the moment and am a little torn between Narvik and Tromso. The pattern of the Whales seems to have changed a little.

Have you found a good company to book with yet?

Mel.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Killer whale safari

Hi Mel,

A little late to the party on this thread, but wondered if you went whale watching in the end? We're looking to go this year (late October or late December) and are trying to weigh up our options. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Ben

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killer whale safari

October is to early, so choose December.

Here do you have one of many companies in Tromsø for Whale Watching - https:/…whale-watching.5353904-137952.html

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Killer whale safari

Thanks for the reply.

How would you say is the best way to travel to Tromsø from the UK?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,976 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killer whale safari

Direct flight from Gatwick with Norwegian ?

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Killer whale safari

Ah yes, I fiddled around with the dates and the direct flight appeared!

Any advice on a good place to stay if we were to book tours via Arctic Fishing Adventures?

Thanks for your responses!