We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Hello,

We're taking the 10:00 bus from Tromso to Narvik on Mar 22, arriving at 14:15, and then taking the 18:46 train from Narvik to Abisko. I was wondering if any of you could help with my questions.

1) What are some suggested activities to pass the time in Narvik between 14:15 and 18:46?

2) The 10:00 Tromso bus does not stop at the train station according to the time table. Is it feasible to wheel large luggage from the bus stop to the train station in March weather? Or is it possible to catch a taxi from the bus stop to the train station?

3) Are there lockers at the bus station (I understand that it's next to the AMFI shopping centre) for us to store our luggage while we wander around Narvik?

4) Are there lockers at the train station for luggage, in case we decide to make our way there first?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karen

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

4) yes luggage lockers are available at the train station: nsb.no/stations_kn/narvik-station-article263…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Please see previous topic

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k598…

There is not much to do in Narvik on a Sunday other than take a stroll and wait for the train. Perhaps have lunch.

Bathurst, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

We will be doing it on 25 February 13.

The railway station is about 200 metres (73 feet) from the bus station.

Exit bus station onto Kongensgate st. turn right and walk to the corner, turn right (gas station on right). Walk parallel to the railway lines down to the station entrance. Cafe and lockers at the railway station

Bathurst, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Correction on the distance in feet. It should 650 feet in lieu of 73 feet

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Thanks for your replies. It's comforting to know that the railstation is only 200 metres from the bus station at Narvik, although the previous topic (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k598…) said that it's 1.6km uphill!

Robert, if you don't mind, can you tell us how it went after your trip in Feb? Have a safe and fun journey!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

There may be a bus stop in Kongens Gate, but that is not the bus station. The bus station is at Narvik Amfi.

Bathurst, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Karen

Our friend from Bergen was right, the bus station in at the AMFI shopping centre.

AMFI centre is 1.2kms from the railway station and it is uphill going to the railway station (the 1.6kms you mentioned is the distance if you exit the bus station parking area without going through the AMFI).

When you get off the bus go into the AMFI shopping centre and make your way up to the top level to exit. Turn to the right and walk down the pedestrian crossing (aprox 30 metres) cross the street and walk to the traffic lights, just through the small park (aprox 40metres). Cross at the traffic lights, turn left and walk up the street to the top where you then turn right and walk down to the railway station.

The alternative could be to ask the bus driver if you can get off the bus at the top of the hill near the street down to the railway station. We did the walk in reverse and as I mentioned in my previous email, there is a bus stop outside the shopping centre just up from the railway station, this stop is to catch the bus going to Tromso, so there may be a stop close by for buses coming from Tromso. We will be heading back to Narvik on 25/2/2013, so will update you if there is a stop nearer to the railway station.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

I know I am right - been there, done that. My husband works in Narvik and I go there regularly - sometimes on the bus.

Please study the bus timetables carefully - those buses meant to correspond with the trains will call at the station.

Bathurst, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Karen

When you cross the suspension bridge towards the end of the bus trip, you are about 10 minutes out of Narvik. The last section is uphill to the railway bridge and when over the bridge, the railway station is down on the left, there is a bus stop just past the traffic light about 100 metres down the road which is about 300 metres from the railway station.

Safe travels

Narvik, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk from Narvik bus station to train station in March

Karen

1. I would strongly recommend the War Museum (http://www.warmuseum.no/). It's located in the square in the middle of Narvik City.

If the weather is nice and sunny I would take the cable car to the top of the mountain (http://www.narvikfjellet.no/?id=1387318122).

You also have a great vire from the restaurants/bars at both Rica Hotel (can't miss it from the square) or Grand Hotel (on your way to the train station).

2. The bus also stops at "Rådhuset" / City Hall, which is at the square in Narvik.

I live in Narvik, so if you have any questions - please ask :-)

-Vidar-