We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyngen Alps area climate

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Florida
Level Contributor
461 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Lyngen Alps area climate

Little over 3 months away and we are tying to finalize our route, we want to spend 2 nights in the Lyngen Alps area, but need a little location help on where to stay. In my cloud cover thread and from an Aurora hunter that visited the region, I was told the Skibotn area is good due to it's dry climate for clear skies, however not a lot of accommodation choices, is the Lyngseidet area close enough to Skibotn to benefit from the micro climate? My wife found a lovely cabin close to 91 where you catch the ferry but is that too far away from Skibotn? Do we want to stay on the east or west side of the Alps, main factor being clear skies.

Trying to maximize our chances of clear skies, found some weather data that said Lyngseidet area receives half the precipitation of Tromso.

I know weather it's a crap shoot but doing what I can by following the statistics,

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

It could very well be that Lyngseidet has a more inland climate than Tromsø, but note that it can sometimes be overcast but no preciptation, so you cannot go quite by the statistics.

If you do not mind being in the countryside, Lyngseidet is located halfway approximately between Tromsø and Skibotn and you can travel in whatever direction necessary to find the best spot.

Edited: 9:08 am, June 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Troms
Troms
Northern Norway, Norway
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

Lyngen alps is the weather border if its coming from east or west, but if the weather are coming from north or south, then you will have the same bad weather all over Lyngen.

If the weather mainly are coming from west when you are here, then you should stay inside Finland, in Kilpisjarvi for example.

Lyngseidet is on the wrong side of the fjord from Skibotn, but it's not always good there, so...

I will recommend to stay in Tromsø city, so you will have close distance to everything, also the coast if the weather get great there..;)

Edited: 9:34 am, June 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Troms
Troms
Northern Norway, Norway
Florida
Level Contributor
461 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

Northern Latitudes, love the area, but weather randomness kills me, right now we are doing this:

Kilpisjarvi ->Alta->Lyngen->Tromso (outside the city)->Abisko (we flew into Sweden)

2 nights each place. We want to have one day to explore the area after the drive, hence 2 nights each place.

You know one of my goals is the Northern Lights, suggested changes or good enough diversity and leave it up to the clear sky gods.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

I suggest you stop worrying and enjoy your holiday whatever the weather. We cannot change it anyway.

Florida
Level Contributor
461 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

Engineer by trade, so yeah, I over think everything, and my wife has picked up on my OCD, so planning trips we flip-flop about 100x before committing =)

But your right, we have carefully chosen destinations and should now start looking at what to do in each area.

6. Re: Lyngen Alps area climate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 13, 2014