We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

hi all

I am going to spend 10 full days in driving around Northern Norway with the following plan:

1. fly to Lofoten on last week of Sept 12 and pick up a car to start driving in Lofoften from South to North for 3-4 days, then,

2. drive to Tromso for and stay there for 3-4 days to see Northern Light (if lucky enough).

3. Fly from Tromso to Olso for 1.5 days city tour before flying back home.

Should I further go up to the North like Finnmark ? Anything good to see there on early Oct? or go to Lapland in Sweden??

Suggestion and recommendation to my plan above is very welcome!

thanks!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

For 10 days, you should be happy enough to spend the time in Lofoten and Tromsø region. It`s enough to see there..;)

Just think about this, October have short days, maybe the snow has come, and you can get a heavy snowstorm during your drive. And the speed limit is max 80 km/h, so...

Just be sure that you get a car with studs on! Just because if there are no snow, it`s difficult to see if the roads has a layer of ice... frozen water...

October can be beautiful, but normally it`s quite rainy and wet, so if I was you, I should choose September instead. Just because you have better chance for better stable weather and get nice sceneary with the autumn colors...

For the Northern Lights, you can can catch that all over, from Lofoten to Tromsø and further north, in September too..;)

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

I think Finnmark is always worth a visit, but when Gunnar says so..

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

If you like, you can see whole Norway in 10 days, but I think more people should maybe think about how much stress they want to make during theirs vacation..;)

So, what I try to explain, is the combination of; Fresh driver on winter roads, icy roads, darkness, maybe a snowstorm, and more...

Then you will fast understand, how far you will come on the drive during a short vacation as 10 days...

If you check the different reports from last winter, you can read one of them who had 14 lovely days in end of Janaury with beautiful weather, wonderful roads and lovely Northern Lights.

Or you can read about the family with the baby who was really struggling in a snowstorm, where they was planned to follow my steps, but have to return to Tromsø because of to bad weather...

By the way, we was also struggling that night, but...

So, we will see how this winter will be... maybe just beautiful after this crappy summer..;)

4. Re: Worth to drive up to Finnmark from Tromso in early Oct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 22, 2013