We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea weather in March

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Suffolk UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Sea weather in March

Hello people!

For our 35th Wedding Anniversary in early March we're hoping to come to Norway and perhaps be lucky enough to see the Northern Lights whilst we are there. I've been looking at the Hurtigruten Coastal voyages but before I get too carried away can anyone advise me of how rough the sea will be at that time of year as I'm a hopeless sea traveller at the best of times! All advices or alternative suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanksx

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea weather in March

Hurtigruten is great. Consider a port to port journey instead of the full round trip, especially as the NL are more likely to be seen the further north you get. They call it a NL-cruise and it is a bit of clever marketing and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Firstly, make sure to choose one of the new, large ships. The bigger the ships, the less they rock. And these newer ships are fitted with stabilizers.

Secondly, do not go beyond the town of Hammerfest. From there on it is open sea and it can get rough, even in summer. Spend a couple of nights in Tromsø instead.

Suffolk UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea weather in March

Thanks very much for your reply - will definately bear this info in mind as we delve deeper into planning this trip!

x

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea weather in March

We are travelling on the Midnatsaol from Kirkenes to Bergen the first week in March. I can get sea sick in the bathtub HOWEVER I used the wristbands on my last trip (to the Greek Islands) and whilst a lot of other people headed for the bathrooms, I did not suffer at all. They stop the sensation of nausea travelling up your spine I believe. Work for 80% of people, 10% no affect and 10% adverse reaction. I recommend you should explore that option. Maybe we shall meet on the Midnatsol (one of the more modern of the Hurtigruten ships).

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea weather in March

We are travelling on the Midnatsaol from Kirkenes to Bergen the first week in March. I can get sea sick in the bathtub HOWEVER I used the wristbands on my last trip (to the Greek Islands) and whilst a lot of other people headed for the bathrooms, I did not suffer at all. They stop the sensation of nausea travelling up your spine I believe. Work for 80% of people, 10% no affect and 10% adverse reaction. I recommend you should explore that option. Maybe we shall meet on the Midnatsol (one of the more modern of the Hurtigruten ships).

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea weather in March

Oops!!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea weather in March

Hi,

If you have not already seen the 2 long threads we have running on the forum about the Hurtigruten journey here are the links:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k349…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190500-i932-k1348…

Suffolk UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea weather in March

Many thanks for the additional replies, I did the original posting on the spur of the moment without researching the existing threads as I was just about to whizz off to work but now have the luxury of a peaceful Sunday afternoon to pursue further.

I've suffered from sea sickness since childhood so have really based all our holidays excluding this form of travel but do feel therefore that we're missing out on visiting some wonderful places hence holidays a few years ago where we travelled by a larger Commercial ferry from the Greek Mainland to Thassos plus a mini cruise from Cyprus to Egypt where I was okay but probably being on a larger vessel+travelling on calm waters were the deciding factors!

I will definately invest in some of those wrist bands if the journey goes ahead - very much like the idea of spending time at Tromso -in fact the more I look through the brochures the more excited/confused I'm getting!

many thanks

x

8. Re: Sea weather in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, July 09, 2011