We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

Hi there,

I’m thinking of travelling with my parents (67 and above) who have standard aches, pains and arthritis but still mobile.

I was thinking of travelling over the Christmas period from 25th to 30th from Oslo to Bergen. They are first time travellers to Norway (I have been to Tromso in summer). My dad loves train travel and I hear the Oslo to Bergen travel is a real treat (hopefully when blanketed with snow as well). Both have never seen a snowy winter (we are Sri Lankan).

I was thinking

December

25th to 27th 2 nights Oslo

27th Train from Oslo to Mydral

Train from Mydral to Flam

Overnight in Flam

28th to 30th 2 nights Bergen

Couple of questions:

1. Only reason I thought of overnighting in Flam is to break the journey for them since Oslo to Bergen via Flam looks like it can be a 7-8 hour journey.

Is there anything to do in Flam in winter or best to do the journey in one go from Oslo to Flam onwards to Bergen.

2. Do I just buy two train tickets?

One way from Oslo to Bergen + Mydral to Flam?

Or do I have to buy individual from Oslo to Mydral + Mydral to Flam + Flam to Voss by bus/ferry + Voss to Bergen by train.

I’m a bit confused how to buy public transport from Flam onwards or whether it’s included in the the overall Oslo to Bergen ticket?

What are my options to continue the journey from Flam?

3. Is there any point in taking the ferry in winter from Flam to Gudvangen? Or just stick to the Flam to Voss bus journey and then catch the train from Voss onwards? I’ve read Norway in a nutshell which seems to be the gospel for Norway travel but it shows travel in one full day.

4. Is there any point in breaking the journey?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Piyumi

7 replies to this topic
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

The train ticket Oslo-Bergen only covers that (direct Olso-Bergen train). If you want to include Flam then you need additional tickets. What you are trying to do is actually the Norway in a Nutshell itinerary (Train Oslo-Myrdal-Flam, ferry Flam-Gudvangen, bus Gudvangen-Voss, train Voss-Bergen). All tickets can be bought as a package from Fjordtours http://fjordtours.com/ and you can configure your trip how you want (and add a stop in Flam).

There is little to do in Flam I think, and make sure things are open over the Christmas break. However I think it you have never been in a snowy country it can be an interesting experience (friends from sunny Australia has done this recently in winter and absolutely loved it). There would be 2 advantages of breaking the journey : shorter travel days for your parents, and also you can leave Flam in the morning by the Flam-Gudvangen ferry and enjoy the scenery in daylight.

I think it can be a good experience in winter but really do make sure you will find accomodation and food in Flam at this time of year. Otherwise, I would just go straight from Oslo to Bergen by train without including Flam.

Edited: 4:56 am, September 29, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

Christmas day schedules may be very reduced, not usually a good day to travel.

You book Oslo to Flåm on one booking at NSB. Ferry on https:/…

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

Brilliant thanks so much for the advice Soph!

I did read Norway in a Nutshell but it does it all in one day which I think might be a little excessive for my parents!

I’ll take your advice and leave out Flam! Seeing and spending quality time in Bergen is better than taking the train! :)

Thanks again! Really appreciate it

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

It would be rather a pity to miss the Flåm rail and Nærøyfjord ferry though, and convenient to overnight then in Flåm if good accommodation is available - the Fretheim hotel and restaurant is very nice but expensive. You can book everything yourself - see Top Questions on main Norway forum.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

As I said, you can configure your trip on the Fjordtours website to include an overnight in Flam, you don't have to do the whole trip in one day. Drop an email to Fjordtours if you need help.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

Hi, the various companies providing products and services to travellers in Flåm is constantly increasing the offer of things to do while you are there, and I know that the Christmas period will have several attractions and light activities. I believe that breaking up the tour in Flåm is a good recommendation, and will be well worth it.

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel

I didn’t realise you could alter the tour! Flam would be amazing since my dad loves train travel!

Thanks again for the tips! Brilliant advice :)

Reply to: Oslo to Bergen Winter Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eastern Norway