We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Cover these places in Norway

India
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to Cover these places in Norway

Hi All,

We (me and my Husband) planning to Visit Norway in August this year. After the research , I have sorted the following places to visit. :-

- Lysefjord - Pulprit Rock and the Kjerag mountain hiking

-Lofoten Island or Hoddevik

-Geirangerfjord or Nærøyfjord or Hardangerfjord

-Scenic train route (Bergen or Flam railway) (want to use it while covering the above destination)

-Scenic boat ride or cruise to view some Fjords (want to use it while covering the above destination)

I will get into Norway by flight in Oslo from Austria(Vienna)

I don't know driving so I have to use only public transport.

I am planning to go to Iceland from Norway but yet not decided because of tight budget.First check the budget of Norway then will decide about the Iceland.

I have below queries :-

-Out of the 3 Geirangerfjord or Nærøyfjord or Hardangerfjord - which is the best one or I can say different from Lysefjord . I want to visit only one out of these 3.

-what is the best route to cover the above destinations means city or station name and mode of transport.

-I really wish to view the floating glaciers ,but boat trip in svalbard seems very expensive (starting from 1500NOK) :( Is there any other cheaper way to view it. ?

Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

You are planning to visit a vast area - how much time do you have ?

All fjords are slightly different - Geirangerfjord is the most remote - again it depends on how much time you have. Hardangerfjord is the closest to Stavanger and has easy connection to Bergen for onward travel and would make sense logisticwise. Nærøyfjord and Geirangerfjord have the most dramatic landscape, but are also the busiest.

Svalbard is a 3 hour flight from Oslo or a two hour flight from Tromsø - again time and budget.

Going north to Lofoten will also require time and money.

Are you into nature hikes - I suggest you take a look at the video of the Pulpit Rock hike. Kjerag is a longer hike than Pulpit Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZCRWsmmlg

Edited: 10:57 am, June 15, 2014
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

Sorry forgot,

If you plan to do the Flåm railway, Nærøyfjord is the obvious choice.

India
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

Thank you so much for the reply. I am planning for 7-8 days.

I am not regular hiker. But I have done some of the mountain hiking in past. So 2 hours hike for Pulpit Rock, I think we can manage. :) thank you for sharing that video , its really gives the nice idea of pathway of this hike.

So I have removed Svalbard from my list.

But Lofoten is also not possible in this much time ?

I have checked the flights , so mostly I need to fly back from Oslo only.

If I consider to go Nærøyfjord by Flåm railway. Then what should be the best route for all these places point to point city , if possible to include any scenic boat/cruise trip to fjords.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

The Pulpit Rock is two hours one way. Anyway, if you arrive in Oslo you will have to go to Stavanger for Pulpit Rock and Kjerag and you need to allocate one day for each hike. Stavanger is a short flight or a full day by train from Oslo. Then you need to continue to Bergen for two nights and do the Norway in a Nutshell (Flåm Railway, Nærøyfjord ferry). Stavanger to Bergen is 5 hours by bus or a short flight. You are rapidly running out of days.....

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

Or you could reverse your itinerary and do Norway in a Nutshell Oslo-Bergen and then continue to Stavanger. Would you want to spend time in the cities at all ?

With your limited time frame you will need to take flights to Lofoten and you will loose a couple of days to travel. The islands are best explored by car.

India
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

So here is my research.

Please advice where I can improve it.

Norway in Nutshell is quite expensive so I have tried the same by own.

Friday 15August

Day 1 15/8- 20:55 VIE 23:10 Oslo-Gardermoen - 172 Euros

Night Stay in Oslo

Day 2 16/8- Departure from Oslo 08:05

The Bergen Railway

6:43 Oslo - 12.05 Myrdal = 249NOK Bergen Railway

13.27 Myrdal - 14.25 Flam = 300NOK Flam Railway

https://www.nsb.no/en

15.10 Flam - 17.30 Gudvangen kai = 295NOK - Ferry

https:/…CalculateMtbsTicket.aspx

17.45 Gudvangen to Voss 19.00 -100NOK - bus onbaord

https:/…950_gudvangen-voss.pdf

19:41 Voss - Bergen 21:08 Bergen Railway - 189NOK

Night Stay in Bergen

Day 3 17/8 Bergen

11.15 Bergen to stavanger15.50 -Bus - 440NOK (or I can even late bus also fare is same)

http://kystbussen.no/default.aspx

Night Stay in Stavanger

Day 4 18/8 Stavanger

whole day Pulpit rock hiking

22.42 Stavanger - 07.27 Oslo - 249NOK

day 5 19/8- Oslo

total 1830NOK = 230Euros(inside Norway)

-I have skipped the Lysefjorden, cruise. Is it really worth to go or anything different than Nærøyfjord (as I am doing this)

-I am staying one night in Bergen and mostly next half day , is it ok ?or I need more ?

- If I want to add Lofoten , whicch city is the best to connect with it. ?

At the end I am planning for the Iceland return trip from Norway(which city ?) then back to vienna .

Please suggest.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

If you do the Pulpit Rock you are in Lysefjorden, no need to do a cruise in addition.

From Oslo you can fly to Bodø and take ferry across to Moskenes in south Lofoten. There are also connecting flights from Bodø to Svolvær and Leknes on the islands. Flight from Oslo to Harstad/Narvik Evenes and bus to the islands.

Return to Oslo or Bergen for direct connections to Iceland with SAS, Norwegian or Icelandair.

8. Re: Best way to Cover these places in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 18, 2015