We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Sweden
8 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hello

We are a group of 8 and we plan to visit Norway. We have approx 4 days and will start from Bergen and end in Oslo.

We plan to travel by car. Is it cheaper for 8 people to hire a car or is it better by public transportation. Does anyone know cheap car hire in Bergen.

Secondly, Is it essesntial to book the accomodation in advance or can we stop en-route and look for accomodation while travelling. I mean what's the probability of finding an accomodation if we don't have any booking.

Our plan is to do Bergen->Sognefjord->Naerofjord->Gundvagen->Flam->Myrdal->Oslo

Can someone also advise whether this is too much for 4 days or something else can also be added in this route.

May be I am getting greedy but can I add Geiranger in this route and still finish in 4 days :)

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hei Sverige.

Your plan is to do Bergen-Sognefjord-Naeroyfjord-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Oslo by car ??

You know you cannot drive the Flam valley to Myrdal or drive from Myrdal to Oslo ?

Are you planning to do the Norway in a Nutshell Tour to visit the above mentioned places??

It will probably be cheaper to rent a car ( it has to be a big one) than going by public transport, but you have to add some ferries and trains.

Start reading some of my questions regarding the places and areas given before, and also read the following websites to give you some ideas of the prices by public transport.

www.fjord1.no

www.flamsbana.no

www.nbe.no

www.bergen-bilutleie.no ( har store biler)

Sweden
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hej Grethe,

Thanx for the reply and the links...

>>>>>Your plan is to do Bergen-Sognefjord-Naeroyfjord-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Oslo by car ??You know you cannot drive the Flam valley to Myrdal or drive from Myrdal to Oslo ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes we planned to do all this by car. If we cannot drive from Myrdal to flam to Oslo then probably we will leave the car in Flam.

>>>>> Are you planning to do the Norway in a Nutshell Tour to visit the above mentioned places??>>>>>

Yes, Kinda Norway in nutshell plus Sognefjord + Naerofjord.

Can you advise an itinerary ? I mean the MUST SEE.

Waterfalls and Glacier are very much on agenda. If you can suggest something there

Also, we are reaching bergen at around 12:00. What can we do in the rest of the day. We are not much keen on seeing the city. Want to indulge in Nature in the whole trip :)

Sweden
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hej Grethe,

Thanx for the reply and the links...

>>>>>Your plan is to do Bergen-Sognefjord-Naeroyfjord-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Oslo by car ??You know you cannot drive the Flam valley to Myrdal or drive from Myrdal to Oslo ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes we planned to do all this by car. If we cannot drive from Myrdal to flam to Oslo then probably we will leave the car in Flam.

>>>>> Are you planning to do the Norway in a Nutshell Tour to visit the above mentioned places??>>>>>

Yes, Kinda Norway in nutshell plus Sognefjord + Naerofjord.

Can you advise an itinerary ? I mean the MUST SEE.

Waterfalls and Glacier are very much on agenda. If you can suggest something there

Also, we are reaching bergen at around 12:00. What can we do in the rest of the day. We are not much keen on seeing the city. Want to indulge in Nature in the whole trip :)

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hei.

If you arrive Bergen at noon and don`t want to see the city, pick up your car at the airport (?) or wherever you will get the car, and go on directly to i.e. Gudvangen or Flam ( 2 -2 1/2 hours drive from Bergen). Take the Flam railway the same afternoon, stay in the area., go on the next morning by the ferry to Kaupanger, drive to the Jostedal glacier ( not far from Kaupanger). Do some hiking or glacier walk there.

Naeroyfjord is an arm of Sognefjord, and you will see the fjord while taking the ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupanger.

A nice place to go is also Balestrand or Fjaerland ( ferry from Balestrand or drive thorugh Sogndal and tunnels to Fjaerland )where you can visit glaciers as Boyabreen and Supehellabreen.

An nice route to Sognefjord, i.e. after having visited Flam, would be to return to Vinje near Voss, and drive the Vikafjell to Vik/Vangsnes and take the ferry across the Sognefjord to Dragsvik or Hella.

Jus t some ideas what to see and where to drive.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Waterfalls: two nice waterfalls near Stalheim hotel ( Gudvangen) called Sivlefossen and Stalheimsfossen. Also waterfalls to look at while staying onboard the ferry from Gudvangen.

You will also find waterfalls near Hella and quite many along the route to Jostedal, and you can also watch waterfalls along the railway to Myrdal.

Regarding you car: leave your car while going on a return trip to Myrdal and continue by car .

Ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupanger has to be booked in advance ( at least a day ahead).

Sweden
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hi Grethe

Thanx a lot..you are amazing..

Planning whole itinerary is the most confusing part. I have read your ideas and I think I would like to do like that but with little modifications.

Coz I plan to take train from Myrdal -Flam-Oslo on the last day ie Sunday. Since our flight is in the night and we don't plan to spend much time in Oslo so we plan to do Myrdal-Flam-Oslo on sunday. If we start at 8:00 I guess we should be in Oslo by afternoon. Isn't it ??

Now other interesting things are Glacier , Kayaking in Naerofjord (read somwhere..sounds interesting..)

Which glacier shall we go (Jostedal / Fjaerland). We would definitely like to do the walk. and I feel one glacier should be enuff for the first time. I want to cover as much as possible in little time :)

Now if I start from Bergen on a Thursday afternoon...How shall we proceed so that we reach Myrdal/Flam on Saturday night ?

After reading your reccomendations, I am trying to plan an itinerary ..please modify as and where you like....

We start towards Gundvagen on Thursday Afternoon and stay there for the night ..probably in stalheim hotel.

Go to Jostedal glacier and Naerofjord on Friday (is it possible to do both on the same day ) and return to ???

And for doing sognefjord and Naerfofjord we shd take the route from Voss as you mentioned ???

And If glacier near Baelstarnd is better then probably skip Jostedal and do sognefjord/Naerofjord on friday and Glacier on saturday and come back to Myrdal for a train trip to Oslo on sunday

I hope this mail finalises my itinerary :)

You have really told me two very important things like Booking ferry in advance and no car drive from Myrdal to Oslo...Thanx a lot.

Last question about accomodation....Shall I book in advance or Is it okie to come and search on that very day.

BTW, I am travelling next thursday so the day anyways is not very far

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hello Sweden.

I hope it is not too late to come back to you on Monday - I am off to our cottage in Joelster in a few minutes, and I want to give you as good an answer as possible !!

"See" you on Monday - OK ??

Sweden
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hej Grethe...

That's so sweet of you to inform me.

I am waiting for monday....

Thanx

Sweden
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hej Grethe

One more question ...

As I told you, we are hiring the car. But there is one problem

Since we have to do Myrdal -Flam-Oslo by flamsbanen and Bergensbanen, we need to leave our car at one of the drop out points.

I need to know which drop out point will suit us the most if we have to drop car near Flam/Myrdal

You can see the list of drop points at the following link

http://www.soscarhire.com/

Else we can leave the car at Oslo but that means leaving Flam -Oslo Train journey. :(

Will we miss too much if we miss this leg of the tour.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed on accomodation and travel

Hello Sweden.

To start with a drop off place: the only place near Myrdal/Flam will be Sogndal/ Kaupanger !

And to make it clear; you can drive to Oslo from Flam - but NOT from Myrdal !!

So if you want to drive back to Oslo; leave you car at Flam and take a return trip with the Flamsbana , and continue by car to Oslo.

If you want to go back to Oslo by train; first the Flamsbana up to Myrdal, change to the Bergen - Oslo line at Myrdal and go on to Oslo. Myrdal-Oslo is about 5 hours.There is one train departure Myrdal at 9.51 a.m. and one ( may be the best for you ) leaves Myrdal at 12.25 and arrives Oslo at 5.32 p.m.

www.nsb.no ( norske jernbaner)

I want to give you two suggestions:

1:Thursday : Drive Bergen-Voss-Vinje-Vangsnes, ferry to Dragsvik. Stay till Friday in Dragsvik or Balestrand, take the morning ferry ( without your car) to Fjaerland - the glacier bus and visit Boyabreen or Suphellebreen + the glacier museum, take the ferry back to Balestrand/Dragsvik. Continue towards Sogndal/Kaupanger ( ferry Dragsvik - Hella), drop off your car at Sogndal/Kaupanger and take the ferry from Kaupanger at 6.50p.m.to Gudvangen (arrives at 9.00p.m.) , stay in Gudvangen ( Gudvangen fjordtel or cabin.)

Saturday:take the ferry out the Naeroyfjord to Flam in the morning, do the Flamsbana to Myrdal, stay at Vatnahalsen hotel at Myrdal till Sunday and go on to Oslo Sunday at noon.

2.Thursday;drive Bergen-Voss-Stalheim.

Friday;drive to Gudvangen and take the ferry to Kaupanger (arrives at 11.00 a.m.) in the morning.Continue by car to Jostedal and visit Nigardsbreen and take a short tour on the galcier before returning to Kaupanger/Mannheller. Take the ferry to Fodnes and drive to Flam through the longest car tunnel in the world ( 25 km) and stay in Flam. Saturday ; take the Flamsbana ( return trip) and continue on your way to Oslo. Stop somwehere along the route for the night.

Booking hotel in advance ?? Some places as Stalheim may be, but you will always find something ( pension, b&b, cabins)

Hope this will give you some ideas.

Remember to read the ferry time tables !!

Have a nice trip.