We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogen i Ofoten

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Bogen i Ofoten

Hi,

We are travelling to Norway in March 2013 for a few days to hopefully see the Aurora, but we would like to explore some of the area whilst we are there. We are staying in Bogen i Ofoten but we cannot seem to find any information or maps of the local area. Could anyone please recommend some scenic places that would be good to head for whilst we are there? We have a hire car. We like walking very much, so also any recommendations on nice walks in the vicinity would also be greatly appreciated! It looks like we could reasonably explore places near: Bogen, Narvik, Harstad, Ofotfjord, Hinnoya, Tjeldoya, Lofoten and the Vesteralen islands, but we aren't sure where to head for. If anyone has any experience of the area, I would love to hear from you! Thanks, Sam :o)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogen i Ofoten

Bogen i Ofoten is tourist free zone rather in the middle of nowhere, so no wonder you cannot find any info. Makes me wonder how you have ended up there in the first place.......... A handful of houses along the main road

http://goo.gl/maps/lPyxD

Walking in winter isnot very convenient as you need somewhere cleared of snow - that would be along the side roads. I seem to remember there are some rather nice, flat fields, could be good for snowshoeing.

Lofoten has by far the best scenery, Vesterålen comes in as a good number two along with a few other places.

Harstad and Narvik are both two street towns; Harstad is located on Hinnøya and could serve as a stop when travelling through. Narvik is rather industrial, not worth a detour imo.

You could do a round trip like this

http://goo.gl/maps/qTaaU

Bjerkvik has shops and a roadside café, shops also at Sjøvegan and Hamnvik, in Sjøvegan also a café except on Sundays, café on the Sørrollnes-Stangnes (Harstad) ferry, roadside café and motel at Tjeldsund.

Ferry timetable for Sørrollnes-Stangnes

www.torghatten-nord.no/english/default.aspx

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogen i Ofoten

Hi klimaflyktning

Thanks for your help and suggestions!! We're in Bogen for the northern lights, we don't mind the quiet :) We didn't manage to pack our snowshoes which is a shame, so based on your advice we'll keep the few days in Norway for exploring places by car. Thanks for the tips on the best scenery and the suggested route! I appreciate your help!

Sam :)

3. Re: Bogen i Ofoten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 11, 2014