We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for Norway in May

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack for Norway in May

Hello! My husband and I are traveling to Norway in late May 2013 and doing kind of a DIY Norway in a Nutshell.

We've looked at weather conditions, but I was hoping to get first hand advice on what to pack for our trip. We are pretty active, and will be doing typical rail/sightseeing, but also hoping to possible kayak, hike and maybe do a glacier walk.

Any tips on packing for the weather, the local dress code, and the activities would be much appreciated.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

I guess the most common outfit in Norway are jeans and sneakers, which will fit perfectly in May. A sweather or a fleece is nice on a cool day, and probably a wind-proof jacket. You may of coarse have a rainy day or five, but none can predict it. Glacier walks or kayaking may require special outfit, which I assume you may rent at the spot. We dress up a bit on our National Day, May 17th., otherwise not, so dont expect any dress-codes unless you plan to visit some up-market restaurants. I have myself visited NYC in May, and found what I wear at home also fitted perfect there.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Glaciers may still be covered in snow in May, but if you are thinking of visiting Nigardsbreen glacier it looks like the Short Blue Ice Walk is available. However, I'm sure it will be dendent on the conditions. Being near and walking on the glacier could be FREEZING as the temperature is of course near 0°C. You cannot rent special outfit for this, you have to bring your own.

http://www.jostedal.com/eng-hikes.htm

May can be very unpredictable when it comes to weather. I suggest you check the weather forecast the day before you travel and pack accordingly: http://www.yr.no/

Layers are best when it comes to clothing as you can easily adjust to the conditions.

Edited: 11:43 am, January 12, 2013
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Hi - my husband and I have been umpteen times to Norway. You don't say whereabouts you are going. If you can plan to be in Oslo by 16th May, you could experience their National Celebrations on the 17th which is really worth seeing. It's called Constitution Day and our daughter was born on that day (we also have a Norwegian name). Many people dress in National Costume so it is very colourful and a lot of the school children march to the King's Palace as do many different bands; when we were there the King and Queen came out onto the balcony and watched all the proceedings. It goes on all day. We were staying with our Norwegian friends so we were lucky to have first-hand knowledge as to what was going on - and we loved it. It was a very cold day, but at least it was dry and sunny. We were there two weeks and the weather got warmer.

With Norway, as with many other cities, it is the luck of the draw. I would say best take layers and be prepared for everything. In May I had my winter coat, lots of jumpers, blouses, tops etc, so that's the best I could recommend. Oslo town centre is very interesting too. We have visited many cities in Norway, so I would say the same applies.

We are doing the Norwegian coastal voyage by ship this year in June and we have the same dilemma. Hope this helps.

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Don't worry about dress code, Norwegians are notoriously informal.

An extra lightweight jumper (fleece for instance) is useful, so can a light scarf. If not in your pack you can easily buy inexpensive clothing in Norway.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Yes, I completely agree about dress code, it is VERY informal, when we dressed up in the evenings for meals in restaurants, we were decidedly overdressed. Mind, you can still be smart and casual.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,964 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Agree, smart casual will take you anywhere.

Pretoria, South...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Hallo, this is great comments for the period in May. We are travelling to Oslo, bergen and Tromso during March 2013. Can you assist me with your comments on what to pack for a March visit?

Regards

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,964 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

You will need full winter gear for March in Tromsø. In southern Norway March is very early spring, temperatures will not normally rise much above 10C, night temperatures can drop to freezing. Early or late March will make a big difference in the south.

Bergen is the mildest of your destinations and also the rainiest

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

Thank you all so much for your help! We will be sure to pack many layers and be prepared for a range of temperatures. We will, unfortunately, just miss the national holiday, but look forward to seeing the beautiful country anyway!!

10. Re: What to pack for Norway in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 15, 2014