We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating King Crab

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Eating King Crab

Hi

I will be travelling to Norway on the Hurtigruten at the end of Feb. I've heard a lot about king crabs from Norway and was wondering if anyone can recommend a restaurant to eat this in either Bergen, Alesund, Bodo, Trondheim or Honningsvag?

Thanks very much.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating King Crab

According to this article(ostkantavisa.no/apps/pbcs.dll/article…), they serve King Crab onboard the Hurtigruten. You can also take part in catching them, although this would require a stopover:

hurtigruten.no/Norge/…

(As the English language version of their rather chaotic web site doesn't have a search facility, I couldn't find the English version of the page).

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating King Crab

I guess crabs are available in all cities, not sure about Honningsvåg as this a village.

In Tromsø for sure these crabs are available in restaurants.

Most of the catch is in Finnmark county, so around there they should also be available fresh.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating King Crab

Thanks for your replies, it's good to know that there will be crab on the menu on the boat!

Also, can you please tell me how much to budget for lunch if we eat out? We're expecting to grab lunch on the go most days, but maybe have one or two nice meals where we can try out the local cuisine (and crabs!)

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating King Crab

When in Rome, etc.. Don't eat lunch. Norwegians eat a sandwich or two forlunch, often brought from home, and have a glass of juice or a coffee. The lack of lunch traditions make this an akward meal to eat out. It's expensive and you'll probably feel you don't get much for the money.

Most hotels serve lunch, however. Be prepared to spend 150 kr/person.

My advice is to eat a bun for lunch and go for breakfast and dinner.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating King Crab

What a great post. I love crab but being in Tasmania we only get delicious but very small blue swimmer crabs and only occasionally for a few months of the year (otherwise it's frozen crabmeat from the north of the mainland - ugh!).

We are in Norway from 26 May to 19 June in Oslo, Bergen, Alesund, Lofoten Islands (4 days), Tromso, Svalbard (1 week). Is crab expensive in Norway? (It is here).

I take the advice of the last post and will look for an evening meal somewhere. Should we look to the more northern cities/places for the freshest crab?

What about prawns? Lofoten?

Any advice welcome.

thanks

Cate

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating King Crab

Although we are the biggest exporter of fish and other marine products in the world, Norway's most common dinner is pizza. Along the roads, you will find hamburger joints and the dreaded "Veikro", that serves relatively expensive, boring food.

Vadsø was the biggest landing port for prawns in the world, but when I was there, you couldn't buy freshly caught prawns. There was no place in town to buy fresh fish either.

Norwegian chefs win international prices for their work, but to eat in their restaurants is something you do only at really big occations. The every day eating out, as you see it in Spain or Italy, is not a tradition in Norway. The food in ordinary cafes is boring, sometimes outright bad, and too expensive. People cook themselves - many are really good at it, try to get invited.

The smaller the town or village, the more fastfood. So we have relatively nice and not too expensive places to eat in the bigger towns, but nowhere else. For north Norway, Tromsø is the place to eat. Otherwise towns like Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim. Sadly, in Norway you would never stumble over a small, cozy village inn that serves local marine specialities to low prices, like you could in France.

Does not let this disencourage you from visting our country, however. No life is lived for those who have not seen Norway.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating King Crab

Just got back from the holiday and I can report that I walked past a few promising looking restaurants in Bergen. Unfortunately we had to join our cruise so didn't check any out.

There was a Japanese restuarant in called Sumo in Bergen that was really busy on a Monday night and their food looked great from the window.

We were lucky to try the crab on our cruise and it was great, I saw it selling for £35 a serving at the Oslo airport (everything is very expensive at the airport) and also at a restaurant in Bergen for £14 a serving. I read another post in this forum that said you can buy crabs at fish markets in Bergen.

The thing about the Norwegian king crabs is that they weren't the ones that I was expecting. In Sydney chinatown restaurants you'd be able to get Alaskan king crabs which are enormous and chunky. The Noweigan ones are big with long legs, but not anywhere as fat and chunky as the Alaskan ones, which are like the body builder of crabs.

Otherwise, I only ate out once in Honnisvag, a small town with only 3 places opened for lunch and I stumbled into a place called Corner Cafe on the wharf. They had fish, reindeer and whale meat on the menu amongst other dishes like pizzas and pasta. I had the crispy cod tongue which tasted like little pieces of fish & chips fish. Very fresh and nice. This meal costed me £15 and I got a lot of fish for it.

Other foods that I liked in Norway include the fish cake and the pancake with cinnamon, butter and sugar - you can get this in little packets at the shop.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating King Crab

Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention that at Alesund there were little boats at the wharf which sold fish and cooked prawns.

Also, I need to thank you Brainspin for the tip about crabs on the Hurtigruten. It was served on the last night of my trip and the meal was well worth the wait!

9. Re: Eating King Crab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 20, 2009