We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

2 posts
Save Topic
HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

I fly into Oslo and I am only staying there for 4 days. I don't know too much about Norway, other than the beautiful Fjords. I would like to see as much as I can. Where should I start? Is it cheapter to rent a car or go by train. I would like to start in Oslo and make my way to the Bergen Coast and take a boat tour through the Fjords. Can I do this without a tour guide? Are there guest houses, or Bed and breakfasts (I don't want to spend to much money on a hotel).

Does anybody have any advice they can offer? I would really appreciate it.

Arctic Explorers Tromso
Boat Tours, Night Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Boat Tours, Hiking Trails, Hiking & Camping Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pukka Travels
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Ski & Snow Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tromso Friluftsenter
Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Photography Tours
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

Roundtrip in the south of Norway, duration ca 7 days

At this page you will find information about Oslo, and accommodation:

Drive or take the train to Trondheim. It might be the best choice to rent a car for a week. Follow the E6 to Trondheim. There is a lot of interesting things to see along this road. It takes 8-9 hours to drive from Oslo to Trondheim.

For example, you can make a stop in Dombås and go on “Musk ox safari”. A safari to see this animal takes about 5 hours, and it comes with a guaranty for seeing the animal.

Trondheim is in the middle of Norway. It is an old town, it was founded 1000 years ago at the end of the Viking era, and was Norway’s first capital. It is a very charming town, with a lot of things to see. Here you can do Virtual Sightseeing: virtualtrondheim.com/virtualsightseeing_2/

Åndalsnes & Geiranger

After Trondheim you should go to Åndalsnes & Geiranger where one of Norway’s most beautiful fjords is situated. This fjord is even on UNESCO’s world heritage list: visitnorway.com/templates/NTRarticle.aspx… )

Geiranger is a great place to stay for the night.

In the area (Åndalsnes and Geiranger) you find the steep, narrow hairpin bends of the Trollstigen and Ørnevegen road; and the magnificent mountain scenery on the Raumabanen railway. You will also see great waterfalls.

Otta & Lillehammer:

Leaving Dombås you drive to Otta, where Norway’s highest mountain is (in the area), and then to Lillehammer (where the Winter Olympics were in 1994). You can stay in Otta or Lillehammer for the night. Info about Lillehammer:

Then you drive to Oslo (about 4 hours from Lillehammer)

You should also take a look at this webpage:

www.visitnorway.com (This is probably the best webpage for information about visiting Norway)

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

Dear Nimbus12!

I just posted an answer to your cry for help, but this opening part fell out. I recommend the described trip around the south of Norway, and also recommend for you to rent a car. That makes it a lot easier to see the real Norway :-)

I recommend you go to Geiranger, where the most beautiful fjord in Norway is. There you can also go on a ferry with your car and without a guide. The area around Geiranger is very nice.

The trip suggestion I posted was written for some American friends of mine (and just modified) It has also some useful links to web pages. Hope this will help you plan your trip, and that you have a good time here in Norway.

Isle of Man
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

Hi Nimbus

Four days from Oslo will just about give you time to recover from jet lag, do the Norway Diet (foot and accommodation is too expensive for mortals now that the summer season ended end August and the Youth Hostels are closed).

The fjords are SW Norway and you see the area best from the Youth Hostel map for the SW. Address and tips at my http://travel.holidays.com under Travel Reports then under Scandinavia - Norway. My trip was 12days and a bit short so you might just make it to Bergen and back with the train.

Check out the direct reference at http://www.freewebs.com/travelreports/#norway where you will have all the rail, boat and sites links

Gari (the viking just back from Norway)

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Isle of Man
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! I don't know where to start or where to go?!?!?

Many thanks Tussa and Gari for taking the time to help me

I guess Tussa and Gari will be all the more willing to help others now that they see a reaction to their labours

To all

In the interests of all, acknowledge efforts of others to reply to your questions please

It's called politeness