We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurtigruten

Andover...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hurtigruten

We are goingt to be in Trondheim in September. We were thinking of taking the Hurtigruten ferry north, maybe to Tromso. What can we do to keep the cost down? And what are goood things to do along the way. We might stay in Tromso for a few days. Are there bus trips or train. or even inexpensive rent a cars. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wonderer

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hurtigruten

It depends on when in September you will take Hurtigruten. The summer season ends Sept.14, so the prices will be lower after that (appr 120 dollars pr.person). Also eating in the dining room onboard is relatively expensive, but there should be a café selling cheaper meals.

Hurtigruten's web pages in English: http://www.hurtigruten.com/en/default.aspx

Hurtigruten arranges trips and excursions on some of the stops on the way north, I couldn't find a list of those in English, though. But one of the things is a sightseeing trip around Tromsø, hopefully you can participate in this even if you leave the ship here (these trips are not included in the fare as far as I know, so you will have to pay for them separately).

There are no trains to Tromsø, for cheap rental cars you could try this: www.rent-a-wreck.no/filial_no.php…

Hope this helps, and do feel free to ask if you have further questions!

Andover...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hurtigruten

Thank you, yes it helps. Are there bus trips out of Tromso that lets us see the countryside aound there?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hurtigruten

You could take a look at this page:

destinasjontromso.no/english/activities_excu… the "ROUNDTRIP BY BUS AND THE COASTAL STEAMER".

The Destination Tromsø page also has a lot of general information you might want to take a look at: www.destinasjontromso.no/english/index.html

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hurtigruten

I'm sorry, I think I made a bit of a mess of the first link, this should be correct: destinasjontromso.no/english/activities_excu…

5. Re: hurtigruten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 02, 2009