We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Hi,

I had previously posted an itinerary and ask for advise in Norway forum. I would like to say sorry for not thanking all the kind experts who replied to me earlier. Thank you very much.

Re-cap: We are a couple, retired and loves travelling to see landscapes, fjords, scenery (exp waterfalls), short hikes and photograph novices.

We have revamp our itinerary, so that is why I started a fresh thread, taking into account some advices given.

Our flights in and out of Norway aready booked.The following are the routes that we would wish to travel, if possible. We try to keep driving to 4 hours daily. All hotels have been reserved but not paid, except for 1 or 2.

For earlier read, breakdown into 3 parts:

1st part:

11/09 Fly in Olso (8am)- spend night and next day

12/09 Late evening flight to Stavanger

13/09 Collect car for 3 days. Hike Pulpit rock, stay overnight at Tau

14/09 Tau - Svandalsfossen -Latefossen. Overnight Odda

15/09 Odda -Baurbreen glacier -Langfossen - Stavanger (via Mortavika-Arsvågen/E39 ferry)

2nd part:

Do a loop from Tromso/Lofoten/Tromso (hopefully for Northern lights)

16/09 Morning flight to Tromso. Collect car for 9 days and drive to Sorreisa accommodation

17/09 Senja - 2 nights

19/09 Solvaer - 2 nights

21/09 Finnsnes -1 night

22/09 Tromso - 3 nights

3rd Part:

Loop from Bergen/various/Bergen

25/09 Morning flight fr Tromso to Bergen. Collect car for 9 days and drive to Voss overnight

26/09 Voss-Tvindefossen, Stalheimskleiva, Flam, Stegastein Lookout. Lærdal Ferie overnight

27/09 Morning to Briksdalbre and overnight there

28/09 Briksdalbre-Loen-Stryn-Eiksund tunnel-Aelsund-Vestnes

29/09 Vestnes-Molde-Bud-Kristiansund-Andalsnes

30/09 Andalsnes-Troll wall - Trollstigen - Gudbrandsjuvet gouge-Ornesvingen-Eagle -Geiranger

01/10 Cruise -Flydalsjuvet -Kvanndalsfossen-Geiranger skywalk-Videfossen- Skjak stay

02/10 Skjak-Aurland (via 55)

03/10 Eildfjord (via 50) -Granvin

04/10 Norheimsund-Bergen (2 nights)

06/10 Late morning flight home

Reason we choose to hike to Pulpit rock in the beginning is that we are afraid the hike might be too late and cold if we leave it till the Bergen loop.

We also choose to do Lofoten/Tromso during those dates to catch the autumn colours and NL if we are lucky!!

Hope that my routes are feasible and not much of backtracking. Also we will like to drive the winter routes which hopefully are open September/Oct.

Hope to see some comments and maybe whether still need some changes.

Thank you.

11 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Comments on Northern Lights, mid September: You're a bit early, the sky hardly get completely dark during the night (no astronomical darkness). You will have nautical twilight (fairly dark) from say 22 to 03, so not much time to wath NL.

The reason for this is the low slope of the sun this far north - it takes time for the sun to get far enough below the horizon.

Your loop from Bergen looks good, however Ålesund or Molde are a much better places to stay than Vestnes.

And, I recommend a stay in Fossbergom (Lom) instead of Skjåk.

Also, consider Fv51 Valdresflye instead of Fv55 to Aurland.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

I spend every September in the area - from mid September is fine.

Personally I would skip the Stavanger bit, there are hikes everywhere you go, just do like the locals and go for a hike when weather/conditions are inviting. Planning a hike on one single day, you risk hitting a day with poor visibility and the hike will be more or less pointless. Add to the north.

As for the north, I would suggest flying to Harstad/Narvik Evenes airport, do a loop of the Vesterålen and Lofoten Islands, then a loop that includes Senja.

Sørreisa and Finnsnes are very dull places.

Edited: 3:05 am, April 16, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

I would sort differently. Combine the parts from Stavanger (Pulpit, Baurbreen, Langfoss, Latefoss, Odda, ...) with Bergen rental car parts by skipping Stavanger. You will save two flights and a lot of time.Furthermore have a look to start from Oslo by car to E134 and return the car in Bergen. There is a scenic start around Notodden:

https:/…

Do you know Norwegian's Scenic Routes already?

https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

There is often stated (also by myself) that one-way car rental is more expensive due to surcharge but from a personal test a few days ago I cannot hold up that statement for me. The prices for rental cars I found from OSL - OSL in July for example were not different to one-way OSL - Bergen; in one case of June 7 -14 one-way was even cheaper. Only the number of providers were limited but the cheapest ones were still available. The same test I did for one-way OSL - EVE (Narvik airport) with same results.

Edited: 6:31 am, April 16, 2018
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

I hope you are correct with the one way car rental charges - sounds too good to be true ! Some providers do not specify their surcharges, so worth verfication before one commits to a booking. I have found that Hertz and Avis quotes have been very clear, others less so.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

"so worth verfication" - I absolutely agree. It is still a jungle of unclearness and uncertainty that is left to the customer.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Just saw in a different poster had a quote with Avis Bergen-Trondheim, there were drop-off charges. Reasonable charges as is often the case between Bergen and Trondheim, but still there.

Edited: 8:18 am, April 16, 2018
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

And the link to the post

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g19050…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Hi

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

I will take note and go back to see how to improve my itinerary.

dregen, you suggest fv51 instead of fv55. Looking at goggle map, fv51 is much longer route. Any particular reason why fv51? Is it a more scenic route?

klima/infojunky, thanks for your input. Ya maybe there is need to combine Stavager with Bergen loop. Also looking into 1 way to compare extra cost.

Thanks.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Yes, Fv51 is some 80 km longer than Fv55, however the time difference is only 30 min due to the many hairpins on Fv55. Why? Just that over the years, I've found Fv51 the more scenic.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018

Thank you.

Reply to: Norway itinerary - Sept/Oct 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted