We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Hi,

I am in the initial stage of planning for Sept ~early Oct 2018 self-drive in Norway. We will have around 23 days to travel, excluding flights in and out. My husband and I and both in our sixties, retired recently. We love photography, scenic landscapes, and waterfalls, short hiking and going for walks. not much into museum, city or night life stuff. For the past two years, we have self-drive in Alaska and Iceland and love the free and easy experience.

From photos, we have fallen in love with Norway and would very much visit those places.

Below is our rough itinerary. Hope the kind experts can give me some pointers, like whether the roads are scenic or whether there is any back-tracking. Maybe can also suggest a better route for us.

Day 1 Land in Oslo (late morning)

Day 2 Oslo

Day 3 Norway in a Nutshell from Oslo to Bergen (Thon Hotel Orion Bergen 2 nights)

Day 4 Bergen

Day 5 Collect rental car, Bergen to Tau (any shorter route to bypass Stavanger to save 1 more

ferry crossing instead of 3) – Accommodation at Verkshotellet Jørpeland – 2 nights

Day 6 Hike Preikstolen (intent to start early morning)

Day 7 Tau to Odda camping (Svandalsfossen falls, thru Sauda 520 to Hara,Latefossen

waterfall)

Day 8 Odda to Aurland (Steinsdalsfossen Waterfall, Voingfossen waterfall, continue route 7,

and 50 to Aurland Fjordhotel) 337km

Day 9 Aurland to Briksadal Gacier (Stegastein Lookout to Snow road rv243, Road 5, E39,

fv260) 222 km

Day 10 Briksadal to Geiranger ( 2 nights) – visit Geiranger Skywalk, Mt Dalsnibba,

Ornesvingen-Eagle Road

Day 11 Geiranger (maybe join cruise tour)

Day 12 Geiranger to Trollstigen to Alesund (Road 63, E136, E39) 192 km

Day 13 Alesund to Alantic Ocean Road to Kristiansund – 165 km

Day 14 Kristiansund to Trondheim – E39 197 km

Day 15 & 16 Trondheim to Saltstraumen (not such which route to follow. E6 all the way or the

longer coastal route) We will rest overnight along the way. Have not research where

yet.

Day 17 Bodo to Moskenes (via ferry)

Day 17 to 18 Solvaer

Day 19 to 20 Finnsnes (intent to visit Senja during the days)

Day 21 to 23 Tromso

Day 24 Tromso flight home

We will rent a car in Bergen and are aware that one way rental is very expensive. We have decided to drive all the way to Bodo and then Lofoten and drop off the car at Tromso. We gather that the extra rental cost compared to driving all the way back from Trondheim to Bergen is a better option. Otherwise we could end up with a couple of days short (Trondheim to Bergen require 2 days), plus additional flight costs.

Would appreciate your opinion and thank you for your time to look into my itinerary in advance.

Nothing has been booked yet. And sorry about the long post.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

I would suggest you reverse your itinerary so that you get the September autumn colours up north. Do include scenic options like Senja, Vesterålen Islands and Lofoten Islands and their scenic roads - National Tourist Routes. I would also strongly recommend Kystriksveien rather than the more monotonous E6. Skip Norway in a Nutshell - with a car you can explore even better sceneries.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Agreed with the reversal. And yes, stay off E6 between Bodø and Trondheim.

Trondheim - Kristiansund: E39 is OK, but consider outer route via Aure (ferry Seivika - Tømmervåg and so on), 207 km.

Kristiansund - Atlantic Road - Ålesund: Also go via Bud, 185 km.

A bit clean-up around Geiranger suggestion: Ålesund - Trollstigen - Eagle road - Geiranger. Next day Geirangerfjord cruise as a foot passenger, then Dalsnibba - strynefjell - stryn area (only 2,5 hours or so drive including stops).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Thank you, klimaflyktning and drengen

The reversed route meaning start from Tromso and slowly moving down to Stavanger and end Oslo.

Our estimate travel date start around 2nd week Sept. Any chance of Northern lights so early in September in

the north (ie Tromso, Lofoten) though NL is unpredictable and more on luck.

By the time we arrived in Stavanger, it will be in 1st week Oct. What about hiking to Pulpit Rock, is it still possible? If not, then may have to fly in to Stavanger, do hike and then fly to Tromso. But it would mean additional cost.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Wait a minute - reverse the itinerary? Benefits - autumn colours up north. On the downside you are putting off Trolltunga until very late in the season when it's advised to have a guide - I'd want to be there as early as possible in September/October. Or are you not considering Trolltunga? Why a night in Odda otherwise? And northern Lights - here you want to be as late as possible to get the longer nights and better chance of the lights. You'll get plenty of autumn colours along the way.

Edited: 11:33 am, January 22, 2018
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Hi dyoll,

Thank you for your advice.

Why Odda? Between Tau and Aurland, Odda seems a reasonable distance to spend the night. We intent to visit Svandalsfossen falls and Beurbreen glacier (not hiking onto glacier) nearby so Odda seems best choice.

No, we not doing Trolltunga hike as we feel it is too strenuous for us. Pulpit hike is good enough and maybe some shorter ad-hoc hikes along the trip.

Yes, hoping to see NL will be phenomenal. So think we will stick to your advice and go with our original plan,

with some changes. Fly in Bergen (2 nights), and fr Tomso fly to Oslo (2 night) before home.

Taking klimaflyktning and drengen's advices too, skip NIN, drive along Kystriksveien route, Bud and outer route via Aure if time permits.

Hopefully get to see autumn colours, though understand autumn comes earlier in the north and as we travel south to north, we may not catch the best it has to offer.. Well, something has to go!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

The original post says September/October - has this now changed ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Hi klimaflyktning,

No tentative dates still the same. Ideally will be 2nd week Sept to 1st week Oct 2018.

PS-original post omit to mention about chasing NL in Lofoten/Tromso.

All expert opinions matters and appreicated by me, thanks.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Then I would still recommend reversing the itinerary - just my 2 cent. Mid September onwards is perfect for the Northern Lights - I spend every September up north and I would say this is an excellent time to visit. The scenery is in no way inferior to the south, so if you end up "missing out" on some of southern Norway, it will not be a big loss.

You do not need to chase any lights - they are there in the sky above you providing the conditions are right.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

Hi Experts,

Sorry, but I now have a revised itinerary, because of fare promotion and also based on some of the experts' input.

Basically below are our full travel days (exclude flight days in and out):

11/09 Land Oslo (am)

12/09 Oslo

13/09 Fly to Tromso; collect car

14/09 Senja

15/09 Senja

16/09 Solvaer

17/09 Solvaer

18/09 Finnsens

19/09 Tromso

20/09 Tromso

21/09 Tromso (return car)

22/09 Flight to Bergen (collect car)

23/09 to 05/10 13 days to do a loop down to Stavanger to Trondheim, and end back Bergen (return car)

06/10 Bergen

07/10 Flight home (noon)

We will rent car and travel around the north from Tromso to Tromso.

In the south we will also drive a loop from Bergen to Bergen (this part we have not finalised actual route yet,

if Trondheim is too far off course,we might skip.)

We would like to know whether are we too late for autumn colours in the north (we read somewhere that autumn arrives earlier in the north and last only 1 to 2 weeks for the best photos, Is it true?) Should we move our dates few days earlier? But then what about NL? Too early?

Thanks a low.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required

September is the best month for autumn colours in the north - Northern Lights good from mid September approximately. You need those dark nights.

Reply to: Norway - 3 weeks trip in Sept~Oct2018 assistance required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted