We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Vienna?

New York City
10 posts
Save Topic
After Vienna?

Hello All -

I'll be travelling to Vienna for work for New Year's. Any suggestions for travel beyind Vienna? I'll be taking a vacation and I'd love to hop on a train (or a cheap flight) to somewhere fabulous and fun! I'm a single gal travelling solo, so please keep that in mind.

I've gone to Prague and Salzburg and would like somewhere new. Thanks all!

Wiener Neustadt...
Level Contributor
47 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Vienna?

Hello,

there are lots of possibilities to travel from Vienna, you can stay in Austria and visit Graz in Styria for example or you can go to Budapest in Hungary by train (which is only a few hours drive and the city is amazing), you can go to Munich in Germany or you take a cheap flight with Air Berlin for example to visit Hamburg, Berlin or other destinations in Germany.

I think you will find a good destination.

Greetings, Daniela

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Vienna?

the list for these suggestions would be endless. especially as you also mentioned cheap flights. the low fare airlines leaving from and around Vienna (thinking Bratislava here) cover most of Europe. certainly the rates will be already higher due to New Year's and also because it's a little late to get a really low fare. depending what you call cheap you could hop on a plane and go from freezing cold Vienna to nice and warm in Barcelona or even colder St. Petersburg. friends of mine love to take the overnight train from Vienna to Venice.

from where are you flying back. that plays a pretty big role in the whole planning because cheap usually only applies when you book return.

for years single gal and travelling solo has never been a problem for me and not just in Europe - I cannot believe it should be for anybody!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Vienna?

Travelling solo can be a problem financially - most anywhere in the world assumes travellers only go in pairs and make singles pay punitive rates for unnecessary twin or double rooms. That's what is so great about Vienna and the rest of Austria too - the hotels offer genuine single rooms at genuine single prices. Every time I try to book a holiday elsewhere I get so horrified by the price I am charged for hotel accommodation (UK, Germany, France, the US) I end up going to Austria instead where singles do not get ripped off!

If I were Cazztafarian I'd stay in Vienna rather than go anyplace else - it's a great city and one of the few where singles are truly welcome - in cafes and restaurants as well as hotels.

Rol

4. Re: After Vienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 23, 2009