We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

Hi

I am currently staying in Vienna in the first district. I will be leaving soon, and before I go, I would like to buy some souvenirs and some chocolates. I would have loved to go to the Fleamarket (at Nashcmarkt) but unfortunately that is held only on Saturdays and I will be leaving before then.

Can you please give me some recommendations on where I can shop for (reasonably prices) souvenirs and some nice chocolates?

Thanks a lot.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

For souvenirs, I like the museum shops - the Kunsthistorisches Museum shop has many tempting things, and the shop in the Hofburg isn't bad. The prices are quite reasonable, and the quality is nice. The music shops are good too - I like Arcadia, under the arcade at the Staatsoper. They do some nice music-themed souvenirs as well as CDs and books and the like.

For chocolates, the supermarket Billa in the Singerstrasse near Stephansdom has a good range of nice things at reasonable prices (chocolates in the basement). There's also a big branch in the Ringstrasse Galleria basement. I like Heindl chocolates - mmm! If you want to go a bit more upmarket, you could try Julius Meinl for all manner of confectionary and other delicatessen, at the corner of the Graben and the Kohlmarkt. I like the little bars of exotically-flavoured Zotter chocolate. Meinls also make nice chocolate bars and boxed chocolates of their own. They also do packages of ground coffee which make nice presents.

That should fill up your suitcase nicely!

Rol (who to her shame had to unzip her expandy-suitcase on the way home from her last trip, to accommodate all the chocolate)

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

Tomorrow, November 1 is a Holiday in Austria and shops will be closed for the day..

Museum shops will be open and some tourist souvenir shops too.

Best to avoid these souvenir kiosks- high price for cheap goods.

I would also recommend not going to Meinl to buy most anything- their prices are often 50% or more than other places. You are paying a high price for their name.

They even charge 0,50 for their remaining paper bags to carry your expensive goods.

Just around the corner and across the street from the square Am Hof a very nice small store selling all types of candy and chocolate.

Also in the Palace Ferstel Passage at Freyung a very nice chocolate shop ( I forget name perhaps Xolat or something The above will be open on the 2nd.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

Chocolate shop at Ferstel is Xocolat

website

www.xocolat.at

Wiener Neustadt...
Level Contributor
47 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

Like Vertical said, shops are closed tomorrow in Austria. The tourist shop near the "Hundertwasser Haus" is a good one, you can also buy souvenirs near St. Stephan´s Cathedral.

Are you leaving by plane? At the airport, there is a supermarket called "Billa" which is opened every day. There you can get cheap chocolate.

Hope you liked Vienna, it is one of my favourite cities.

Greetings, Daniela

5. Re: Shopping: souvenirs & Chocolates - help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 17, 2009