We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Prague

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
36 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Vienna to Prague

I am wanting to catch the train from Vienna to Prague. I have been to the main website (www.oebb.at) and can see the train i want but do not speak any German so cannot book the ticket online. Is it possible to just go to the Westbahn train station and buy the ticket on the day before I leave or is it more involved than that? Any idea how much the train ticket one way to Prague costs (Adult 2nd class)?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

Vienna - Prague ticket in 2nd class is about 48 euro.

just go to Westbahnhof shortly before the train departs and buy your ticket . They will accept credit card or euro at the ticket window.

U-bahn ( subway) line U-3 direction Ottakring takes you directly to the station from city center.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

Lauren&Chris,

please mind that the trains to Prague (Praha, in German Prag) start from the South Station (Südbahnhof) and not from Westbahnhof.

Just be at the station let's say half an hour in advance, get your tickets from the ticket windows, that's it. Ticket machines do only sell national tickets, so go to the ticket counter. You can pay with cash, all credit cards and Maestro. Usually no need to reserve seats, you will find free seats. (There are little pieces of paper or displays on the compartment's door or over the seat indicating between which stations the seat is reserved). Usually you won't find any reservations in most of the coaches, so just go to the next coach to find the seats you want.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
36 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

Thanks all for the quick replies! That has helped a lot!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

traveling during the months May to October and you want to take the train on a saturday or sunday - be on the trainstation earlier. or by the ticket on any other trainstation in advance. I took the train two weeks ago and somehow it slipped my mind that it was a saturday. came 20 minutes before the train left - big mistake way too many people trying to by tickets, 2nd class full, I got on in 1st class and bought the ticket on the train - payed way too much because of that.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

>traveling during the months May to October and you want to take the train on a saturday or sunday - be on the trainstation earlier. or by the ticket on any other trainstation in advance.

Buying the ticket in advance won't help you any - if you haven't reserved a seat an d the train is full you will have no seat regardless of when you have bought the ticket. If travelling on a weekend or some popular travel day (around long weekends for example) shell out an extra 3-4 Euro for a seat reservation.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

I think Deece wanted to say that queues can be long at Südbahnhof. Buying a ticket onboard of the train for national travel is only the regular fare + 3 Euros (but not possible on many regional lines) but it's difficult with international tickets.

Be at the station some time in advance or buy your tickets some time in advance from any railway ticket window. If you board the train not just 2 mins before departure you usually can choose the seats you want. In Austria (and even Czech Republic) 90% of the people don't reserve seats.

Trento, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

I am trying to book a train from Prague to Vienna on abt the 27th of Dec. through the www.oebb.at, but i cannot get any price listings for that period and i am encouraged to call instead. Could it be the case that trains are already overbooked and going to train station in advance would not make any sense?

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

You cannot buy international tickets online! The only trains that require a seat-reservation are EC 72 and EC 74 (dep. Wien Südbf. 13:33 and 15:33). All other trains can never sell out... and I've also never heard that any of these two trains was sold out... usually you should not have any problem buying a ticket just before departure..

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

Upps, just read that you travel the other way... but same information is also valid for Prague-Vienna... trains that require a seat reservation are marked in the (online) timetable

Trento, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Vienna to Prague

vielen dank for this info!