We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna On Easter Weekend

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PHILADELPHIA
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna On Easter Weekend

Hello,

I was considering visiting Vienna over the Easter Weekend next year. On Good Friday and Easter Sunday are things opened as ususal or does town shut down? Is it possible to hear the Vienna Boys Choir over that weekend? Should we reschedule for a later time.

Thanks

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna On Easter Weekend

I believe that you would find most everything open on Good Friday.

Of course, churches may limit sightseeing due to having services.

Shopping is very limited every Sunday in Vienna. However other activities- sightseeing etc. as usual.

This is a family time in the city - many will be walking in parks and visiting friends.

Most restaurants, except those usually closed open.

The Vienna choir boys usually sing each Sunday morning at the Hofburgkapelle. Tickets are very limited.

Check their website for any appearances.

wwww.wsk.at

I believe that is is a nice time to visit.

PHILADELPHIA
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna On Easter Weekend

Thank you very much for the information. I can't wait!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna On Easter Weekend

I've gone to Vienna for Easter for about three years running now (goodness!) and it's a great time to visit. Most everything is open on Friday, including the shops, but as usual shops are shut on Sunday, though most museums and galleries are open as usual. Easter Monday, however, can be a bit slow as a number of the museums and galleries are closed, and the shops too. Seems everyone in Vienna goes to Schoenbrunn that day (me too!) Restaurants etc are open as usual so you won't go hungry.

Easter is a specially good time of year if you're interested in classical music as the Osterklang festival is on at that time. The Vienna Symphoniker play concerts on the Saturday and Sunday nights at the Musikverein which are fab, and other well-known musicians and orchestras play around town in the week leading up to Easter. I especially like Kremerata Baltica, who usually perform somewhere in Vienna during that week as part of Osterklang. There are also performances at the Staatsoper and Volksoper so you will be spoilt for choice.

I don't know about the Boys' Choir but I imagine they are performing that weekend. There are also two performances at the Spanish Riding School, on Saturday and Sunday mornings of the Easter weekend, if you are interested in our four-legged friends.

There are one or two "Easter markets" dotted around town - the ones at Schoenbrunn and on the Freyung spring to mind - that are fun to visit - they sell painted eggs and crafts and you can imagine the baked goods and sweets are something to write home about!

Have fun!

Rol, still dithering about Easter 2007!

4. Re: Vienna On Easter Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, August 24, 2009