We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Budapest

Philadelphia, PA
1 post
Save Topic
Vienna to Budapest

I will be in Vienna next week. I have one extra day to play with, and I am considering a trip to Budapest. Thoughts? What's the best way to get there, and what's essential to see and do? Thanks

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Budapest

You can take the train. Have a look at -- www.OeBB.at -- for schedules and fares.

Devon england
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Budapest

Hi I saw your posting...we are going to budapest soon and are taking the train to Vienna for a day..i wondered how it worked out for you???We are wondering how to best spend our 8 hours in Vienna any ideas?

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to Budapest

My wife and I did the Vienna to Budapest return train trip a few years back now....in the late 80s I think! I remember that the communists' grip on power had effectively faltered but things had yet to change dramatically. We still had our visas checked by polite but formidable looking guards when the train stopped at the border. I remember them looking intently at my bow tie and brogues and being delighted that I met their idea of an Englishman abroad...doubtless backpacks are probably more the norm on the train nowadays!

Unless I'm much mistaken the journey was somewhat tedious and not enhanced by stunning landscapes...rather desolate industrial sites seemed to pop up quite a bit. That being said it was quite an experience back then and enlivened by the fact that the journey was spent chatting with the Japanese gent in our compartment who turned out to be the London bureau chief of a major news agency. By far the most harrowing part of the trip was the terrifying taxi ride to the Gellert Hotel...if I ever had any doubts about the speed a trabant could reach and the niftyness of it's turning circle, ten minutes later I had none whatsoever!

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to Budapest

By far the best way to go from Vienna to Budapest is by the hyrdofoil. But it takes the best part of the day. By the time you get there, you will need to come back by train. But saying that, once you have seen the sights of Budapest by the river, there is nothing else to see.

I would spend your extra day in Bratislava, or Salzburg, or in the Vienna woods