We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vertical, are you familiar with .........

Palatka, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Vertical, are you familiar with .........

Vertical, are you familiar with the name of the town west of Vienna which contains a Russian Military Cemetery?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vertical, are you familiar with .........

The Soviets ( now the politically correct term ) occupied a large area west- north and south of Vienna 1945-55.

I only know of an area in the Zentralfriedhof ( Vienna)used as a cemetary for soviet troops. This is not what you look for.

This period was not a happy time for Austria and most would not really think of these places.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vertical, are you familiar with .........

Message StevenW:

Sorry to take some time to respond , but other things occupy much time.

An interesting look into this subject.

I have no perfect answer- but some info that may help.

Russian Embassy was no help at all. First set of calls - individual answering phones advises that the internal phone system is not functioning.

Next call- advised to call back between 9 and 12. It was 11 no help.

Later, found an individual that did not speak german or english. I do not speak russian.

Next call finally - a person - mix of english and german- knows of no such russian cemetary. No advise on any other place to contact.

Militaty Attache is never in office.

After 60 years- these people are forgotten.

Thus ask friends etc.

Final conclusion -

This may be in an area we would know as Maria Brunn. or Wien Hadersdorf This is in the western most area of Vienna , 14th District - ( 20-30 minutes from city center) west of the village of Hütteldorf and east of Purkersdorf . The autobahn runs through this area , also the main railway line Vienna- Salzburg.

The Church is located at Hauptstrasse 9.

This area has seen many changes in recent years- no idea of your Zimmer.

But at least you may have a place to start your search.

Sorry I could not help you more than the above.But it was fun, especially the embassy contacts.

3. Re: Vertical, are you familiar with .........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 18, 2009