We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BritishColumbia
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

Am trying to book a trip from Vienna to Salzburg on the OBB website. My preferred departure station in Vienna is the 'Wien Westbahnhof' train station (it is close to where we will be staying). On the OBB website the departure choices are 'Wien' and also 'Wien Westbahnhof (U)' as well as many other variations of Wien. if i choose 'Wien' can I board at any Wien stn including Wien Westbahnhof (not sure how to know if the train stops there)? Somebody said Wien Westbahnhof (U) is actually the underground stn rather than the train station. I am very confused - can anyone clarify?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

If you enter (or select) Wien, then the system automatically defaults to the station where trains to Salzburg depart from, namely Wien-Westbahnhof. The reason why you can choose from so many stations and stops is because ÖBB's trip planner incorporates all means of transport available in Austria. Booking though is only available for trips within the ÖBB network. Book from Wien-Westbahnhof!

BritishColumbia
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

Perfect! Thanks for clarifying.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

Also check this promotion of WESTBAHN, a company that also runs trains between Vienna and Salzburg:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190410-i146-k7059…

4. Re: OBB Trip Vienna to Salzburg (which stn in Vienna)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 14, 2015