We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dbayeh, Lebanon
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Dear experts,

We are a group of 5 tourists traveling to Central Europe next Spring. Due to time constraints we decided to exclude Prague from the tour,

We'll reach Flughafen Airport on 23/5/14 around 1:45 pm, we intend to move directly to Budapest and spend 3 days there, then move to Krakow and spend 2 days, then return to Vienna to spend 6 days (one day will be allocated for an excursion from Wien to Bratislava). We have the following concerns regarding transportation means between the proposed cities:

1- From Flughafen airport to Budapest, is it better to use train or car taxi? Any info regarding the price of each option?

2- Budapest- Krakow and Krakow -Wien, they should be taken by train, are night trains available for both trips?

3- What is the rate of sleeping couchettes, and is it better to purchase the tickets once we arrive to Budapest or Kraków?

4- does the train to krakow starts from Keleti train station?

5- is there a train from Krakow to Bratislava, or is it better to reach Vienna and then make the 1-day excursion to Bratislava?

6- Where does the train coming from Glówny stop in Wien?

What's your opinion about our setting? Is it advisable or does anybody have a different proposal?

Regards,

Cedro

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,819 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Flughafen is the German word for airport. Do you mean Vienna airport?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,819 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Assuming you did mean Vienna airport:

1) Easiest is to take the direct bus from Vienna airport to Budapest. Taxi would be horrendously expensive and train would mean going into Vienna and changing stations. Bus is definitely best

2) Probably best asked in the Budapest and Krakow forums

3) Again not really questions for the Vienna forum

4) See 2 and 3!

5) Easily done as a day (or half day) trip from Vienna

6) Wien Miedling

Your plan seems OK to me. Glad to see you're giving Vienna 6 days.

Dbayeh, Lebanon
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Dear Norman,

Thank you for the concise but notably valuable info, yes of course I meant Flughafen Wien. I still have the following queries:

1- regarding the buses from Vienna Airport to Budapest, how to find them once we get out of the airport, and do they need a priori booking? Is there a site for that if it's required?

2- do you advise us to take other excursions in addition to Bratislava once we are in Wien? I mean nearby towns that are worth a 1/2 day excursion by train, or do you prefer that we stay permanently in Wien and consider only one excursion to Bratislava?

3- By the way, to go to Bratislava, is it preferred to go by train or bus or perhaps a taxi?

Sincerely,

Cedro

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Ad 1) Check websites of Orangeways and WESTBUS

Ad 2) Most other places would require at least a day such as Salzburg, Graz, Linz could be done in less time. Another great day trip from Vienna is the "Wachau", a very beautiful section of the Danube River between Krems and Melk. Most travelers take the train from Vienna to Melk, visit the abbey there, then go downstream to Dürnstein, tour this little but great town, take the bus to Krems, visit Krems' town center and finally get back to Vienna by train. Please use the search function of the forum as advice on the Wachau has been given many many times!

Ad 3) Bus or train, check times here: www.oebb.at/en - and buy the Bratislava Excursion Ticket, more info can be found on the aforementioned website

Dbayeh, Lebanon
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Thanks a lot mr. Mikey for your guidance!

I reviewed the westbus and got the necessary information.

Concerning the excursion, it's better not to lose more than 2 days out of Vienna (1 day for Bratislava & 1 day for Wachau region) the other proposed cities are important, yet far from Wien and this will mean more time consumption on the way back and forth. I also got informed that we can access Bratislava by ferry boat trips from Schwedenplatz, is it the best way of transportation between both cities? Or taxis are faster and more economical for 5-passengers?

Thanks a lot for offering your expertise, both Norman and Mike! :) in anytime you wish to come to the Middle East, I'm at your service.

My regards,

Cedro

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

I think that two side trips are feasible, a third place would eventually be too much. Travel time to Salzburg is only 2h30min, so still feasible. But in the end the decision is up to you!

The catamaran service from Schwedenplatz is extraordinary but very expensive. Check their website for more info, search for "Twin City Liner". You seem to be focused on taxi transportation, but here (Central Europe) we have efficient public transport, so nobody hires a taxi.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Hi

We are reaching Vienna airport at 18.30 Hrs. We need to go to Budapest. The trains leave Vienna train stations at 19.50 Hrs and other trains take the whole night. It may not be possible to take a taxi or train to go to the train station by that time. However there is Orangeways bus leaving the Vienna airport at 19.50 Hrs takes us to Budapest by 22.00 Hrs. My question is whether the bus terminal for Orange ways is so close that we can reach the bus terminal after disembarking the plane at 18.30 Hrs. We will have about 75 to 80 Mts. We may have only Carry on baggage and as such we may not have to wait at the baggage conveyor. In essence I want to know whether the Orange bus terminal is with in a reachable distance ? (Since the bus time table says that it is picking up passengers at the Vienna Airport)

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ganeshan

Centreville VA

USA

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

No problem to reach the bus, even in case of a small delay! Buses stop moreless in front of the terminal.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Thanks a lot. Appreciated. I just found that the bus departs from Arrival 3 Terminal by looking into Orangeways time table.

ORAB-BP191 Di 15 Jul 2014 19:55 A Wien(Vienna), Airport (Schwechat-Flughafen) AIRPORT Arrival 3. - Érkezési oldal 3. 15 Jul 2014 22:40 HU Budapest OrangeWays buszmegálló Albert Flórián (FTC) Stadion - Népliget 7500 HUF

Grateful for your timely reply.

Ganeshan

Dbayeh, Lebanon
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation means between Vienna, Budapest & Kraków

Yes Salzburg is 2:30 hrs away from Vienna, but you need to calculate the time back from Salzburg, so you'll end up wasting 5:00hrs per day nearly half day. Besides, the remaining 4 days for Wien will drop to 3, and that would be unfair.

Taxi transport saves you the waste of time as opposed to trains and buses. You don't need to find the station and trace the exact train or bus and wait for it to start its journey. Besides, cars can move at a higher speed and don't have intermediate stations to stop at and wait for embarking and disembarking. In our case, we are a group not a single tourist, so, it may be also economical to use taxi service, although I agree with you that your public transport system is highly reliable. Am I right?