We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Vienna Train Station Questions

Washington DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
General Vienna Train Station Questions

I am traveling from the westenhoff station to Salzburg and have some stupid questions. How difficult is the train station to navigate? How far in advance of my departure time should I arrive? Any other advice is gladly welcome. Thank you in advance!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

Very easy to navigate - get there about 30 minutes ahead of your scheduled departure. RElax and have a great trip!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

thank you!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

KimBux is being cautious. I think 15 minutes would be fine if you've prebooked and have tickets.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,901 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

Or you buy the tickets on the train if you use Westbahn (€25)

Casper WY
Level Contributor
149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

I arrived at Westbahnhof coming from Salzburg and although it is large with a shopping center attached, it is well signed and I did not find it intimidating. I had pulled a muscle in my leg and I was dragging a little, so I would recommend arriving closer to 30 mins. early if you have any mobility issues. I know a lot of people here recommend Westbahn, but I took OBB first class (booked early on internet for good price) and was very happy with my choice - in fact I really didn't want to get off! OBB trains do have steps up which can be an issue if you have luggage, although on every train I took some kind gentleman offered to help me on and off (maybe it's the gray hair). Because of my leg, I took cabs on both ends of my journey. In Salzburg I found the cabbies polite, efficient and honest. In Vienna I encountered the nicest and friendliest cabbie I think I have ever had (also efficient and honest). A great ambassador for the people of Vienna.

Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

Not sure if this thread is the right one for this question. Do pardon me if it isn't.

I am attempting to purchase the tickets for Vienna to Salzburg. Am arriving at Vienna airport and making way to Salzburg first.

When i went on the obb website to purchase ticket, which station (nearest/convenient to get to from Vienna airport) should I choose? I see that there is Wien and Wien Hbf. Are they referring to the same station?

Same goes for destination station. Salzburg and Salzburg hbf. Are they the same?

Thank you for your advice!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

Ideally this should have been a new post.

You want Wien Westbahnhof which you can most conveniently reach by direct airport bus. You have two choices to Salzburg from there:

i) OeBB - cheapest possible tickets booked in advance (from €19), but quite expensive if not. The problem is that you are tied to a specific train with the cheap tickets so if you have any delay you have lost the money.

ii) Westbahn whose trains are not booked in advance. They charge a fixed €25 and you usually pay on the train so no problem if you are delayed. https://westbahn.at/en

Both serve Salzburg Hauptbahnhof

Edited: 8:08 am, January 06, 2014
Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

So say on OeBB website, when I indicate Wien to Salzburg, would that mean that I can board and alight the train at any station in Wien/Salzburg? Or does Wien/Salzburg refer to Wien Westbahnhof and Salzburg Hauptbahnhof?

I am a bit confused with the selection of train stations during the purchase of online tickets..

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

If you enter just Wien and Salzburg on the next page it defaults to Wien Westbahnhof and Salzburg Hauptbahnhof. When entering choose Wien & Salzburg from the drop down list (with the H symbols) that appears after you type the first few letters.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Vienna Train Station Questions

Agree with all. Online booking is easy and the trains are good.Vienna(Wien) also have multi-lingual reservation staff so makes things even easier.Will also add the the taxis(cabs) are good/polite