We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBB Train Help

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
OBB Train Help

Hello! I am looking to book a train from Venice (Venezia) to Vienna (Wien). I see a direct train on the OBB website from 15:59 to 23:27 on an EC Train. There's also a train from 11:20 to 19:27, which has one transfer from an IC Bus to a Railjet train.

Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Are IC Buses nice? Is there room for luggage in the bus or underneath? If under, is it safe that no one will steal your luggage?

2) Is it easy enough to transfer from the Bus to Railjet train for people who only speak English?

3) What is the difference between SparSchiene Italien and Globalpreis Italien? Am I eligible to buy the cheap SparSchiene one?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Mickey???

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,898 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBB Train Help

Ad 1) Yes, they are nice, your bags will be safe! I suppose that larger bags will be put in the underneath stowage.

Ad 2) The bus stops in front of the train station in Villach. Just enter the station building and continue to the track displayed on monitors showing the departures.

Ad 3) Sparschiene is a pun in the German language and means "saver". It can be booked by everyone regardless of nationality. Globalpreis is, as far as I know, the regular fare, hence more expensive than the Sparschiene.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBB Train Help

Yay, Mikey, you rock!! Exactly the info I needed. Thanks very much!!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OBB Train Help

And again, you rock, Mickey! I had the same questions as the poster of this thread and you answered all my questions. I so love these forums!

Gail Harrison

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,898 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OBB Train Help

Well, thanks! I am always happy when my advice is appreciated......! ;-)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OBB Train Help

If you are booking a train from VENICE, ITALY to Vienna through the Austrian Railways (OBB) just make sure you can print at home before you buy. For some reason OBB often require that you pick up your ticket at a station in Austria. If you're in Italy, that's clearly difficult to do.

There have been many posts on the Train Travel forums on just this topic and the dilemma it raises. When we did this trip, on the overnight train run by OBB, we found that we had to buy through Trenitalia, even though it was more expensive, purely because there was no way we could collect an OBB ticket before we boarded.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OBB Train Help

Thanks for the info. I had read that I needed to print my ticket but it's nice to have a reminder.

Gail

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OBB Train Help

"Thanks for the info. I had read that I needed to print my ticket but it's nice to have a reminder. "

Not quite Gail. You need to make sure you can print your ticket at home before you purchase from OBB. Sometimes this is not offered and your only option is to collect the ticket in Austria. Obviously if this is the case, then you have to buy from Trenitalia, not OBB.

Of course if you are passing through any part of Austria on the way to Venice you could pick the ticket up on your way through.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OBB Train Help

Rock on Mikey!

9. Re: OBB Train Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2015