We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Vienna in December - too long?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Vienna in December - too long?

We are flying to Vienna for a week in December and are very excited to see the Christmas magic. We enjoy museums and art and castles but have been to museums and castles like these recently so don't want to go to too many. We will likely go to a concert and an opera. I've searched through older posts but other than these types of activities, many of the other activities suggested for Vienna are warm weather activities. Do you think it would be a good idea for us to go somewhere else for a few days during this week? Which would be more of a change from Vienna - Prague or Salzburg or somewhere else? Or would we just be wasting time travelling that would be better spent in Vienna?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

Vienna in the winter is beautiful! There's nothing like walking aloing Kartnerstrasse while it's snowing - to me, it's magical. I think that a week is a good amount of time to see everything on a leisurely schedule. I would not go to another city..... but that's my opinion. Definitely go to Schonbrunn, the Belevedere, and the Kunsthistorisches museum. Also, visit St. Stephan's and make sure to take the elevator (or stairs) to the top and take the tour of the catacombs. Another favorite of mine is the Kaiser Gruft.

I think there will be plenty to keep you busy for a week in Vienna!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

Second KimBux on staying in Vienna the whole week. We have been many times, from 10 days to one month and still will come back for more.

Level Contributor
2 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

Well we are going for a week in December from the 16th and I don't think it will be too short, though we are going onto Prague after this for a few days.

If you like museums, art, castles and classical music I don't think you are going to be short of something to do for the week.

My only problem at this time of year is that it seems that the available "serious" concerts are already booked out- though we may have a go at the standing room tickets for the Opera that week.

Have fun

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

to me ,. one week would be long . we've done the whole city and almost visited most of its attractions in about 4 days . if I were you I would spend 4 days in Vienna and three days in Budapest . Budapest is a hidden jewel .

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

A week is never too long in Vienna.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

a month is not even too long in Vienna . but if we have the opportunity to see two places in one trip then what's wrong about that ? anyway to each his own . some people visit cities to see the major attractions . other people like to spend a whole day in seeing one attraction . it all depends on the OP .

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

It doesn't matter how long you stay - just that you come!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

I have been to Vienna so often, even lived there for three months few years ago due to work commitments and every time am there as two weeks ago the last time there is still stuff to do and things to discover. So a week there is imo not too long.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

Thanks for these opinions. I'm still not sure what we are going to do. While we like getting to know a city, because it will be winter, we may be more limited to indoor attractions such as museums and I feel that we may want a change after a few days. Budapest sounds interesting - a short train ride to a different culture. I may wait until we get there and see how we feel!

Edited: 5:25 pm, November 07, 2013
Vienna
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Vienna in December - too long?

I would stay a week an do a train day trip to Salzburg and you can go to Duernstein in Wachau next to Danube - lovely Christmas market