We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hello,

Starting early planning for a trip December 2014. We are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We will be spending some time in London and Paris before we start our travels around Czech Republic, Austria and Germany. I want to give my children a "christmas in europe" feel to our trip (although we will be back home in oz by 24 December). I want to balance covering ground while soaking in the experience. Appreciate all advice.

Day 1 Arrive Prague from London (flight)

Day 2 Prague (walking tour and free time)

Day 3 Prague to Vienna via Cesky Krumlov (private prague guide tours)

Day 4 Vienna (relaxed day sightseeing - we have been to Vienna before)

Day 5 Vienna - Budapest - Vienna (day trip independent or with guide not sure) ?? too much??

Day 6 Vienna to Salzburg (train)

Day 7 Salzburg (free day roaming the town)

Day 8 Salzburg to Garmisch Parkenkirchen (train)

Day 9 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and zugspitze)

Day 10 Garmisch Parkenkirchen (just enjoy the village and zugspitze)

Day 11 Garmisch Parkenkirchen to Munich via Neuschwanstein Castle (chris edward tours)

Day 12 Munich

Day 13 Munich (day tour to rothenburg)

Day 14 Depart Munich

Am I trying to do too much.

Thanks

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Too much in not enough time. You cannot see a city in just one day.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Way toooo much! Your kids won't get the 'Christmas in Europe' feel - they will feel like they have been tossed around like a football and not know what day it is. As a start, cut out the trip to Budapest on Day 5. You will need more time in Vienna..... Good Luck!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

If you have been to Vienna before, I would cut it out and heard from CK to Salzburg. Spend a few extra days there. You'll want plenty of time as there is so much Christmas to soak up. Go down to Wolfgangsee on one of your days. I would also suggest stopping in Mittenwald.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

Agree with Cherries with one proviso - if you haven't been to Vienna at Christmas before then I'd still include it, but miss out Budapest. The Christmas Markets and decorations in Vienna are stunning.

5. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 31, 2014