We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

We will be visiting Vienna in the second week of November. We plan to buy some woolen clothing like jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts etc. to take back to India (as a gift for friends).

So will this shopping of woolens be cheaper in Vienna or Bratislava? Or the prices are more or less the same? We want to buy good stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

It would probably be about the same. Neither is particularly cheap, but you would have to go to one of the out-of-town malls to get the best selection/prices.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

I agree with GCEK - but note a few differences:

- there are no such "out-of-town malls" yet in the Bratislava area, although there are plans for this

- there are 2 decent malls (Eurovea and Aupark) that are easy walking distance from the historic old town in Bratislava (both have my favorite store, Peek & Cloppenberg)

- I know of no similar malls in Vienna, but along Mariahilfer Strasse, at the end closer to the Ring, there are some good and reasonably-priced places

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

That is what I mean - Aupark at least is what I would call an 'out-of-town' mall. There is also Avion shopping park near the airport, which is huge. Polus is also out of town, also Shopping Palace in Ružinov, and a couple of others as well but those are the only ones I have ever been dragged to :)

In Vienna they are a bit further out - Auhof, which is past Huetteldorf in the south east of the city (it isn't that great, though), or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_City_S%C3%BCd you could also try Lugner City which is near the Stadthalle. There are others as well. In Gerasdorf, just to the north of Vienna, there is a Primark where you can find lots of cheap clothing, most of which is made in Bangladesh, I understand ... http://www.g3-shopping.at/de/shop/primark

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

Thanks a lot GCEK & Spiritfamily :)

I had heard from somebody that lot of cheap clothing are available in Budapest? Any idea on this and the quality of these items?

Just asking..... We may not get time to visit Budapest actually as I have a conference to attend in Vienna

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

It would be about the same, IMO, but ask in the Budapest forum - it would be a long way to go just to go shopping!

BTW Huetteldorf /Auhof is in the south WEST of the city - my mistake!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,772 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

But isn't most of the cheap clothing sold in the West made in the Indian Subcontinent? Doubt it would be cheaper even in Budapest than in India!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

Of course! Everything is much cheaper here in India!

But wanted to buy some woolen clothing from Europe for friends/relatives!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

In this case you will have to spend a bit more if you want something that is made locally as it is likely to be on the luxury end of the scale. As alluded to above, a lot of clothing, especially the cheaper sort, is made in India/Bangladesh anyway.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

Given cost and time to travel around I would just go to Mariahilferstrasse in Wien. You can also take train from opera to Shopping City in Voesendorf, which is a huge shopping mall just outside Vienna. Go to a shop where they offer VAT refund - you can the get money back on airport when you will leave. It should be around 16% if you spend a certain amount. In Vienna most shops in center of town do it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woolen clothing shopping in Vienna Vs Bratislava

@Salzburger

Is there any cash limit on these refundable items?? And can you please tell me where in airport we can get the refund?