We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety around Renaissance Wien

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Safety around Renaissance Wien

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Vienna while on a 3 week trip to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. We are strongly considering the Renaissance Wien because parking is included in our rate and because it is air conditioned. We know that it is cookie cutter "could be anywhere in the world". This is our only hotel that is not fairy tale precious. With the subway directly across the street, we are not terribly concerned about the distance. Our concern is not knowing what kind of neighborhood the hotel is in and how safe the tube is from this location. Is the neighborhood safe?...is it an office community, and basically empty at night?...is it residential?...is the area considered "seedy"?...should we be concerned about riding the tube on that particular route? We will be doing the touristy things. If anyone is familiar with this area, we would greatly appreciate any information you could share.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

You are in the 15th district very close to Schonbrunn Palace. The U4 (green) ubahn station is near your hotel. The U4 will take you right into Karlsplatz, which is the main ubahn station in the city center. You can connect to the U2 (purple) and U1 (red).

Vienna is a very safe city. I lived there in college and have returned 16-17 times since - some trips I've gone solo. Never once have I had an issue.... Use the same caution as you would at home and just be aware of your surroundings. No concerns with riding the public transportation (U4) to/from your hotel since Schonbrunn is the next stop past yours, there will always be locals and tourist aboard. (I lived in the 24th district so I had to take the U4 to Hietzing daily and caught the bus in Hietzing to my house).

I hope you have a great trip to and enjoy Vienna.

P.S. - don't call it the tube in Vienna.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

Even the parts that might be considered 'seedy' by locals are extremely safe, so don't worry about that sort of thing. The same probably goes for all the places you plan to visit.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

Thank y'all so much for the information. I feel more comfortable choosing this hotel. And thank you for the advise on using the word "tube". I just wasn't sure what the locals called their subway system...metro, tube, underground, subway.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

The area is safe, but not very interesting and not too much within immediate walking distance in the way of good restaurants. Is this your only option? Of course you can get anywhere on the U-bahn (local term for subway), bus or tram. Pretty much all of Vienna is comprised of 5-6 storey buildings with shops/offices on the lower level and apartments above. There really isn't a business area, per se, unless you go way out of center.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

We chose this hotel because we could get a good rate that included parking, breakfast and air conditioning. Pictures of hotel and rooms looked acceptable to us even though reviews said in need of refurbishment. I could not find any hotels closer to center, with their amenities, that were not ridiculously expensive. ..for us, anyway. This hotel choice was a compromise.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

We chose this hotel because we could get a good rate that included parking, breakfast and air conditioning. Pictures of hotel and rooms looked acceptable to us even though reviews said in need of refurbishment. I could not find any hotels closer to center, with their amenities, that were not ridiculously expensive. ..for us, anyway. This hotel choice was a compromise.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,107 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

Have you thought of using one of Vienna's excellent Park & Ride garages which cost €3 per day? They all have fast connections to the centre and would give you a much wider choice of hotels.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

Yes - a car is a bit of a millstone around your neck in Vienna and most other continental European cities - it can severely restrict your options. It is best to park it up for a few days out of town as suggested by Norman and leave it there for the time you are in each city. You will certainly not need it when in Vienna!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

I knew nothing of the Park and Ride garages. That is a great idea and it does make available so many hotels that I was interested in that were pushed out of my price range because of parking fees. Thank y'all so much! Tripadvisor rocks!

10. Re: Safety around Renaissance Wien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:39 am, October 03, 2014