We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First evening in Vienna - what to do?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
First evening in Vienna - what to do?

Hello,

I'm arriving in Vienna around 3 pm this Friday. After settling into my hotel, I figure that will make it around 4 pm. Since I've heard most of the major attractions close shortly after that, what do you recommend I see that evening (or night)?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

Where are you staying? There are some fun neighborhoods around Vienna. You can always go to the city center and grab a coffee or bier and people watch!

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

I'm staying at the Courtyard Vienna Messe. It's a little ways from the city center, but I think it's next to a U-bahn station? The U-2 line, I think. I'm arriving around 4 pm...Should I walk around the Ringstrasse?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

You could take the U2 from your hotel allllll the way to the Karlsplatz ubahn stations (end) and exit towards the Opera House, then walk up Kartnerstrasse and find an outdoor cafe. Sit outside, relax a bit and take in the atmosphere. Visit St. Stephan's and wonder around the inner stadt. You could walk the ring, but some parts of it are not too exciting

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

Okay, thanks!

Another question: I was reading about the palaces (e.g. Schonbrunn, Hofburg) and it says you can buy something called a Sisi ticket online that you can use for both attractions. Is it worth it for me to buy that online? I'm just wondering if there are advantages to buying this online, for example will I be able to avoid the lines there if I do so?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

I've never purchased a Sisi ticket. But, checking the web, it's a good deal. Individually, you would pay 26 Euros for the Hofburg and Schonbrunn. But, for 25.5 Euros, the Furniture collection is included. I visited the furniture collection about 7 years ago and it's FABULOUS. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, but I did.

I've never encountered a line at the Hofburg. But, Schonbrunn can be very busy if you get there around 11 or 12. I suggest going to Schonbrunn first thing in the morning to avoid the queues. Ticket sales begin at 8:15 AM and the attraction opens at 8:30 AM. After touring the palace, make sure to visit the gardens and walk up to the top of the hill. There is a nice view of the palace and Vienna. Also, take a trip to the Zoo. It's the oldest zoo in the world. You can enter from the gardens behind the palace on the right just before the hill to the Gloriette.

6. Re: First evening in Vienna - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 09, 2014