We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What classical concert to go for?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What classical concert to go for?

Hi!

We're visiting Vienna for a romantic getaway 22-24th of November. The concert would have to be on Saturyday evening, the 23rd. I'm debating with myself which concert to go for. I enjoy opera music, but I also love orchestra music - especially piano concertos. I want to "wow" my wife with a bit of a nice surprise, so... any tips? I guess the Vienna State Opera is "the one" to go for, but "the magic flute" is running on the 24th, not the 23rd, and I really wanted to see that one... So, what to go for? I've been thinking about the Annakirche, but again - I just don't know. I love the idea of sitting in a massive cencert-hall, right in the very top balcony, looking over all the people and enjoying the music... So, any tips? :-)

Thank you, from Norway!

And by the way, how cold is Vienna in late November? Coming from Norway cold isn't really a problem. It's just a question of how much warm clothes to bring.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What classical concert to go for?

Normally I'd recommend the Musikverein but they've got some weird crossover concert of classical, pop and jazz on 23rd November (see www.musikverein.at).

Angela Gheorghiu is performing a gala concert at the Konzerthaus that night (tix www.konzerthaus.at) I think that would be my choice - sounds fun and though the KH isn't it as ornate at the MV, it's a nice venue.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What classical concert to go for?

Hi,

My family will be in Vienna from Oct 31 to Nov 5. We are a family with a 6-y and 10-y who are very familiar with going to 3hr long musicals, operas and concerts. We all enjoy concerts.

We are looking for good classical concerts with good musicians (piano and strings) to go to. It seems there isn't much going on during that period. Vienna Philharmonic is touring and we are so disappointed. We are not interested in the Mozart Touristy things. We are also looking to see if there are musical groups that are doing more comtemporary Classical music pieces.

Does anyone have suggestions? Maybe a smaller private venue that is mainly for locals? Also, please let us know if these places will give chidlren discounts like in the Opera Haus.

Thank you.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What classical concert to go for?

If your kids don't mind it an operetta, Die Csardasfuerstin at the Volksoper on 2 November is a fun production, with lovely music. It's my favourite operetta - very charming and funny. But maybe you need basic German to follow the story.

At the Musikverein on 4 November, the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig plays Brahms: musikverein.at/konzerte/konzertprogramm.php… I like the programme, and that will give you a chance to see the magnificent Grosser Saal.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What classical concert to go for?

Thank you so much!

Oh Yes! I totally forgot about the Volksoper. That maybe a good choice. My kids will enjoy an operetta if they can understand. Do you know if Volksoper displays subtitles?

We did consider the Brahms concert in the Golden Hall. My husband is eager to see the golden hall. The seating there is on flat ground, how does that work with short kids? Will they see well? Also, Brahms may be a little hard for my kids...(I should test it out to night). Also, do you know if they offer children's tickets. I saw a review which says that someone got 1/2 price for their kids. But they bought that in person with a man dress like Mozart.

Thanks for your help again!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What classical concert to go for?

Most Austrian venues offer child concessions, I believe. I don't know what the Musikverein tickets cost as they're not on sale yet. The floor is more or less level but the stage is elevated so the view is not bad. Although I'm seldom too bothered with a view at a concert, as long as the acoustic is OK, and of course the Musikverein Grossersaal is famous for its acoustic.

Volksoper tix can be booked through their website www.volksoper.at There are English surtitles for the Csardasfuerstin performance (not all performances at the VO have surtitles). I think tickets for under 15s are 75% off.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What classical concert to go for?

Thank you Roley.

I have written email to Musikverein for ticket price for children. Hopefully I get an answer. My family are very excited about that Brahm's concert.

Now question about seating, do you know if the raised seats in the back on the ground floor too far? Or are these seats under the balcony so they affect the acoustics? Are there pillars in front of some of these seats (like in the Brahms Hall, as I read in a review)? Where to sit for best acoustic and view? Do I really need to pay the premium?

We are still considering the Operetta. Thank you for suggestion. We love the music in that operetta! Just have to figure out if we have enough time and budget to do two concerts!

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What classical concert to go for?

I've never sat right at the back under the balcony. I imagine the sound is not too bad, though, because the hall is very well designed. There are no pillars in the Grosser Saal (except right at the back holding up the balcony) - even the boxes along the sides of the hall are open with only waist-high divisions between them. I've never noticed a problem with sound or view whereever I sat in the hall (except one time when an annoying woman next to me spoke to her daughter through the concert!)

You can see pictures of the Grosser Saal here:

musikverein.at/dermusikverein/galerie/musikv…

8. Re: What classical concert to go for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 07, 2014