We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Trip Report- August 2013

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Long Trip Report- August 2013

We went to Vienna the 2nd week of August so this is what we did:

Tuesday- We arrived at Vienna and took a taxi to Appartment Ferchergasse where we had rented an apartment for a week. Great place and management. One of the best advice we got was to buy the weekly transit card for around 15 euros. We then took the 10A tram to Schonbrunn Palace and because it was the afternoon, we avoided the crowds. We bought the Classic Ticket (make sure you bring student IDs for the kids because there is a discount, and kids under 19 are free) and went to the Maze, Labyrinth and Gloriette. We then later ate at Apollon by Hernals Street which was good . My son had the bisteca and my daughter the vegetarian platter. They loved theirs; I had the souvlaki which was okay. When I went to pay by credit card (because it said that they accepted credit cards), they said the machine was broken so I had to pay by cash. Most places in Vienna only accept cash so be forewarned.

Wednesday- We took the S bahn to Westbahnhof and went to the Oebb office to purchase the Combi ticket to Melk Abbey. The combi ticket was a great buy but you have to leave at specific times. We boarded the 9:18 am train to Melk and spent 2 Euros each on the English tour. The tour was nice but we felt we could have done it ourselves. We then ate at the Café Restaurant Zimmer on the main street and then walked down to the docks to take the newer Brandner boat to Krems. It has a smaller observation deck but it was newer, had air conditioning in the inside cabin and was less crowded. It also landed closer inland. Instead of Krems, we got off at the pretty town of Durnstein but since we opted out of hiking up to Richard, the Lion Hearted's castle, there wasn’t much to do there but eat and take pictures. My daughter wished she had her bathing suit because people were sunning themselves on the beach there but alas, we didn't. We also regretted not spending time in Krems since there seemed to be more historic places to visit there. From Durnstein, we then boarded the bus on the outskirts of town to get to Krems to get the 5:03 pm train back into the city. We debated staying on in Krems but were told that we would have to purchase another ticket to take the later train so we opted to return instead.

For dinner, we then decided to go to Figlmuller for their famed Weiner Schnitzel. The original one was closed for renovations so we waited on line at the other one around the corner and the Schnitzel was awesome (and huge!). The spinach dumplings were excellent also. Then to cap off the evening we walked to Eissalon Schwedenplatz for their gelatos which were delish.

Thursday- we made a mistake and got up late. We had book Fraulein Maria’s Bike Tour in Salzburg and since the train ride would be almost 3 hours, we had booked the 4:30 pm tour. Because we did not buy tickets in advance, the Oebb price was almost 50 Euros, twice the usual price because we were buying tickets the day of! So then we opted to go on the cheaper, newer Westbahn trains that had free Wifi and bought tickets on board. However when I went to pay by credit card this time, they would not accept cards without the Smart Chip (Oebb would take it) so I had to pay in cash. Coming back we did not realize that the last Westbahn train left at 7:48 pm and since our tour ended at 8 pm, we had to pay the Oebb’s inflated price for the return. But because we did have the Weekly Transit card, we did manage to get a small discount on that.

Also, we bought sandwiches and desserts from Le Cro Bag at the Westbahnhof station which was the best thing we did. We ate on the ride to Salzburg and we did the same coming back. Their food was awesome! We then took a quick walk around the city (it’s 20 minutes from the station) and met up with the Tour outside the Mirabell Palace (10 mins from the station). We had a great ride 3.5 hour Sound of Music bike tour, stopping at the main sites along the way. The prettiest ones were the cemetery where the Von Trapp are escaping and the lake one where the Von Trapp “home” was. Then we bought dinner from Le Cro Bag on the way home. If we had to do it over again, we would have left much earlier for Salzburg so we could have explored the city longer since it was such a pretty city!

Friday - We went to the KunstHistoriches Museum near the MuseumsQuartier area. Again we got student discounts. The lobby is magnificent but I do not agree with others who think that it is better than the Louvre. After that, we walked through the Hofburg Palace area, took some pictures and ate sacher torte at the famed Demel. The sacher torte was good but needed more apricot; the truffle torte however was to die for, though. We then walked around town and ate dinner at Café Mozart which had the best waiter, and the best food including Tafelspitz. We later opted to have dessert at Café Sacher and my daughter tried their sacher torte for comparison (the subject of a 7 year legal battle with Demel for bragging rights). She liked the fact that it had more apricot than Demel’s but felt Demel’s had a better chocolate icing. My son and I had the apfelstrudel which was a little dry.

Saturday- Where else does one go but the Naschmarkt? A friend of my brother’s had recommended going to the less touristy Brunnermarkt but since it was our last day in Vienna we went to the Naschmarkt instead. It did not disappoint as we spent 2-1/2 hours there. We started at Kennenbruckengasse, which was where the Flea Market begins, and we bought 5 E scarves, 9 E coffee and ate lunch at Dr. Falafel. We also made friends with the Honey Man, —his booth sold honey wine and honey bears (like gummy bears) which was delicious. We wound up taking pictures with him and buying 7 bottles of his wine.

We then walked over to the MUMOK museum at the Museums Quartier and it was very interesting. It is deceiving from the outside but there was about 6 floors of artwork, with the top floors being the current exhibit of Albert Oehlen works. I really enjoyed his mirror paintings and took pictures of myself standing in front of the mirrors which gave a cool photo effect. The museum also has one Picasso and several Andy Warhol pix (several with Mick Jagger).

Afterwards we took the train to the Prater, Vienna’s amusement park and it was HUGE. It was the perfect way to end our vacation as we rode the Reisenrad Ferris Wheel which was more of a panoramic car overlooking Vienna. My kids rode the rollercoasters (which were 3-3.5 euros each) and we listened to live music, and ate the famous chocolate Mozart balls.

Then it was back to town where we ate a delicious meal at Ottakring Landhaus. This time we had Weiner Schnitzel, spaetzle and Tafelspitz. To cap off the evening we then had the homemade gelato at Gelateria Arnoldo nearby. All in all, we had a wonderful time in Vienna and Salzburg.

1. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, August 15, 2013
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

Thanks for the enjoyable and informative report! Sounds like you had a good time - though I think if possible it's worth staying a night in Salzburg so you can do it thoroughly - especially in summer there's lots to see and do. Interesting about the OEBB train ticket prices too - in the past, it didn't matter when you bought your ticket as the price was a flat rate, but it sounds now like they've gone over to the German system where it's cheaper if you buy in advance. I usually do, because I'm a fuss-pot, and being able to print the ticket at home is very convenient. I'll remember to do that in future to avoid any last minute price-hikes!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

GREAT report.... excited to start planning my next trip to Vienna!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

Thanks so much, It would have been nice to stay over in Salzburg but we only had a week.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

I know you've been back for a while, but I really enjoyed reading your report anyway :) Especially liked hearing about the Naschmarkt, the food, and your Salzburg bike tour, also appreciate all the tips re: using cash vs credit, and the problems one can have with the train tickets. Thank you for posting!

Don't suppose you also be posting photos.... ? :)

Edited: 6:38 pm, October 08, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

Sorry, I haven't responded sooner. Been busy with work. I don't know how to attach photos to this review since for some reason it doesn't show up on my contributions list. Do you know how?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,575 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

You can't attach them directly. You have to upload them to a photo sharing website then paste a link on here.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

@Drey - as Norman describes, what you can do is create a new/anonymous account e.g. on photobucket, or flickr, keep out of it any photos you'd rather not share, and then post the link here. If you want to! Otherwise, good luck with work, and thanks again for your report :)

Edited: 11:48 am, November 27, 2013
burlingame
Level Contributor
98 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

Thanks for the great trip report. We are going to the Christmas markets in Vienna at the beginning of December and will keep your Sacher Torte preferences in mind.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Trip Report- August 2013

A BIG "thank you " for your review! We are planning a Spring visit and have found your review extremely valuable! We are so excited!