We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time solo travel Vienna

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Topic
First time solo travel Vienna

Hi everyone,

I plan on taking a trip to Vienna in September this year. Austria is the closest country to my own that I haven't visited yet, which is why I go there.

However, since none of my friends want to go, or have the money to go, I have to go solo. It will be the first time I travel solo and to be honest, I'm a bit afraid.

I'm thinking of staying in Hostel Wombats Naschmarkt. Is it a good choice for a solo traveler my age? (I'm 19 by the way)

what do I need to take care of? I will book the hostel in advance, as well as my airplane ticket. But what's the best way to get from the airport to the hostel? And where can I get a public transport pass?

Also, what's travelling solo like? Will I have to visit everything on my own and eat on my own, or are there plenty of solo travelers around who want to visit places and eat with me?

A lot of questions in one topic, and most of them quite silly probably, but I hope someone can help me anyway.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

Te Naschmarkt Wombats is the only one of the three they have in Vienna that I haven't stayed in, but they are all similar. Plenty of travellers who are both solo and in groups staying there and a bar which is good for meeting others. You'll meet people of all ages if you are not afraid to say hello when you are there. You may end up visiting places alone, but then you will also meet people with whom you might be able to visit some of the sights with too. People I've come across at hostels I've stayed in have always been friendly, sometimes I've visited places alone as it was somewhere I really wanted to go to and didn't fit with the itinerary of others, other times I've seen sights with others I've met at the hostel.

You may want to consider purchasing a Vienna card which is a 72hr transport pass that gives you discounts at a lot of the tourist attractions within Vienna and only costs a couple of Euros more than a normal 72hr transport pass (transport pass can be purchased easily from the machines at the train/u bahn stations). I saved more than the difference in price, so well worth it IME. www.wien.info/en/travel-info/vienna-card

Just relax and have fun, Vienna's a nice place, I was only there for a couple of days and already planning a trip back.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

With the area of Naschmarkt - Schleifmühlgasse - Freihausviertel - up to Margaretenplatz

there are many cafés bars and restaurants available , especially attracting younger people, and going out on your own is no problem. Location wise this wombat is the best.

Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

Thank you for your info!

I have booked my plane ticket, so there's no turning back. However I started having doubts about Wombats, I don't think it will fit me. I'm not the kind of person who wants to party every day, every night.

I have the impression that Hostel Ruthensteiner might fit me better. Can anyone compare the two hostels? Or maybe give another suggestion on hostels for young, somewhat more quiet people? (I do like to drink beer though, I just don't like loud music and getting completely wasted)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

I'm not the type who goes out and parties every night, and you certainly don't have to get wasted at the hostels. I found the bar at Wombats The Base a lot quieter than The Lounge, no crowds getting wasted and no loud music, we just sat there having a couple of quiet drinks and chatting.

Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

unfortunately there don't seem to be rooms available in the base for all the nights I'm there...

6. Re: First time solo travel Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 28, 2014