We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

I'm not familiar with this orchestra or conductor-does anyone here have any info on it. There is a performance of music by various composers (Verdi, Strauss and Smetana) at the Musikverein that I am considering, but I'd like to get a bit more info before I book this performance. Also, the tickets are not available on the Musikverein web site, so I need a recommendation for where to go for the tickets if this is a performance worth considering. Here is the Musikverein link to the performance:

musikverein.at/konzerte/konzertprogramm.php…

BTW, we are also attending the performance of the Vienna Philharmonic that same week at the Konzerthaus, so I'd like to avoid the "tourist" type performances if possible. TIA for any advice.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

FWIW, the other contenders for that same evening are Verdi's Nabucco at the Staasoper (only the most expensive tickets are left) or Strauss' 'Salome' at the Volksoper (lots of tickets at all prices still available), so any feedback on those performances would also be appreciated.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

A quick bump and another question: I discovered that "Brünner Philharmoniker" in German translates to "Brno Philharmoniker" in Czech, so I am now wondering if this is the orchestra that is performing at the Musikverein on 24 September. This is the only correlation I can find for "Brünner Philharmoniker" online-if anyone could confirm this for me, I would be much obliged. Now to the next challenge, that of purchasing tickets in advance-the Musikverein site does not have tickets for this performance available yet, so I plan to call them on the phone to see if they will go on sale any time soon. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

The concert seems to be the Brno Philharmonic performing exclusively for a huge congress of neurologists, which is most likely why tickets aren't sold via Musikverein's website. The programme sounds a bit like the tourist-type concerts (I mean the classic pieces are popular and somewhat lighter than what will be played by the Vienna Philharmonic under Maazel in Konzerthaus), but the quality is probably good.

Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to get tickets. You could call the Musikverein to find out, maybe they start selling leftover tickets when at a later point.

You could go to the venue on the evening of the concert and see if remaining tickets are being sold there or if someone wants to sell his tickets (unlikely for neurologists as they might not bother waiting in front of the concert hall to sell their tickets but head for some nice restaurant straight away and forget about the ticket which they probably didn't pay themselves anyway ;-).

You are lucky having secured tickets for the Vienna Philharmonic - that should be a wonderful concert!

As to the choice of operas: hard to say as I don't particularly like Salome and as I don't even know Nabucco (except for te famous choir which everyone knows). I'd probably go for the latter because I prefer the Staatsoper and the cast seems good and I need to get acquainted with that work. Also, the feature little screens for each seat with a translation (English/German) of the text.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

Richard, good catch-I just visited the Neurologist Congress web site and found lots of information on the concert. It is definitely more of a "greatest hits" format, with eleven separate pieces in the program. Apparently the guest conductor is a former neurologist, so I guess that keeps it all in the family, so to speak! :-)

5. Re: Brunner Philharmoniker at the Musikverein?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014