We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Layover in Vienna

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Layover in Vienna

Hello!

I have an 18 and a half hour layover in Vienna on a Saturday night in September, coming in from Istanbul. I arrive in Vienna at 3:55pm and my flight leaves at 10:25am the next morning back home to Virginia. I am wondering, what should I do with my evening there, and I am assuming it is best to get a room at a hotel to sleep before my flight. My preference would be to get a room someplace near the "action", easy access to all the sights so I may drop off my carry on, clean up, then go back out to enjoy whatever I can. Any ideas where the best place to stay would be? Preferably not too expensive! :) Also, I am a 25 y/o girl traveling alone, how safe is it at night in the city? Sorry I am not familiar with this city AT ALL (but would like to be)... any information is genuinly appreciated (Where to stay, anything I must eat while I am there, etc.) Thank you!!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

What is your budget? You say preferably not too expensive, but provide a range. You can get to and from the airport easily with the public transportation system in Vienna. I like the CAT (others like the S7 - either way, you will land in the city) which leaves you at Wien Mitte/Landstrasse - from there you can grab an ubahn or walk to the city center. With your arrival time, I think just roaming the city center after you drop your things/shower would be fun. You can visit St. Stephans Cathedral and then grab a drink. I like staying at the Pension Aviano which is in the city center, on a side street between the Opera House and St. Stephan's Cathedral. A single room will be about 130Euros (maybe less). They have a great breakfast in the morning too. Others on here will give you some good suggestions, too

Vienna is a very safe city. I've been there many times as a solo traveler and never had any issues. Just be mindful of your things and surroundings - as you are in any other city,

I like eating at the Wurstl stands or just heading into a cafe.

Hope you have a great trip!!

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Hello KimBux! Thank you for your quick reply and great advice! As for my budget, I am thinking of spending no more than 130 Euros (so the hotel you recommended is ideal!). After doing futher research, I think I've decided staying at a hostel might be a good idea. Maybe I should explain further: Since I am traveling alone, I would love to possibly meet some people for the evening to go out and have a drink, walk the city, etc. I am not too concerned on the comfort of my bed or having my own bath.. it is one night, and I would prefer to spend all my energy out on the town soaking in every minute in Vienna than resting! I may regret that decision when I land at home and am exhausted... but I think it might be worth it! :) Again, thanks for your advice - and thank you for reassuring me the city is safe, that is definitely something I was concerned about. I am looking forward to taking advantage of this layover! :))

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

If you want a hostel try Wombats Naschmarkt

wombats-hostels.com/vienna/the-naschmarkt/

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Hello Norman!

I see Wombats Naschmarkt gets excellent reviews! It looks wonderful, and definitely a place I would love to spend my only night in Vienna at! If you have been, do you know how close this hostel would be to any pubs/restaurants/shopping? I am very unfamiliar :/ I see it has a bar right on sight, but I would love to venture out to see other venues as well! Thanks for your input, much appreciated! :)

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Naschmarkt is an area with tons of different bars and within 10 minutes walk you will be in historic city center.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Hello Salzburger, thanks for the info! Great to know! I am getting excited for this little adventure of mine :)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Definitely a happening area yet close to the historic centre.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

Wombats Naschmarkt can be easily reached by subway U4 from Wien Mitte, which is where the airport-trains will get you. As for the trains from the airport, you can get the non-stop CAT, which is faster (16 minutes as opposed to 25 for the S-Bahn) and at €12 (not including the onward journey on the subway) somewhat more expensive, or the S7 sububan commuter train, which will cost you €4, including the onward trip on U4. If you just missed a CAT, chances are the next S7 will get you to Wien Mitte earlier than the next CAT.

For the trip back to the airport, the CAT has a big advantage: for many airlines (but not all!) you can check-in already at Wien-Mitte station, usually without long lines and hassle and this gives you more time in Vienna. However, I'm not sure if you need to check in again at all or if you'll already have your onward boarding pass and just your cabin-luggage with you.

cityairporttrain.com/Services/…

9. Re: Overnight Layover in Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 23, 2014